Carb/Airbox Info...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb/Airbox Info...

I am working on a 79 550E. When I got the bike there was no airbox, Or carbs. I have since bought carbs for it, and It runs. I am kicking around my options for fabricating the air filtration system, and have a few questions...

1. three of the carbs have nipples on them. Located at the middle part of the carbs, pointing toward the engine(front). What are they for and where do they get routed to?
    2. The breather tube comming out of the head. where does that go? Can I just put a clamp on filter on it?

I Imagine maybe both of these get routed to the airbox, However I am unsure. The bike is now a hardtail, and there is no room for a factory type airbox. Where would they get routed without one?

thanks...Any other helpfull information is welcomed!

On my '79 850, the two outer nipples (1 and 4) vent to air. The nipple on #3 is to the petcock and applies vacuum. The breather tube goes to the top of the air box.

I'm fairly certain its the same for your bike.

Comment

OK, thanks a bunch. I have another question. I am not using the origional tank, Do I have to modify the fuel system at all to compensate for no longer using a vacuum petcock?

thanks

Comment

The only thing you should have to do is securely plug the vacuum nipple on your #3 carb.

Comment

Cool, thanks for th info guys. And nice '58 pic...My favorite year for the bel air.

later
          Andy

Comment

Working...
          X