Summer Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
    Being as I'm in Socal & very soon the temps not gonna be dropping under 75 for many months I thinking of going up to a 20-50w for the summer. I don't really need the 10w for cold starting but the 50 might come in handy in the summer, especially with LA traffic....
    Dan
    I live in FL and the Suzuki dealer recommended 20-50W for the consistently 90F months of May-Sept. I have yet to do that. Still use 10-40W SP4 Suzuki oil year round but avoid riding mid day sun or in traffic. Strictly before 1pm or after 5pm for me and on the country road chillin'.

I'm still trying to figure the max range of temp this oil is subjected to? One person noted an actual temp of 212F mixed riding at 82F air temp and 240F when engine turned off. One day I'll figure out a cheap oil temp gage myself that's easy to install. Or I'll just believe the guy who said a stock bike will never overheat if ridden sanely - not sitting in traffic.

Comment

The temp peaks a bit at shutdown as all the hot oil floods the sump (low, sump-mounted temp-sensor) and there's so much less cooling dynamics taking place around the engine, etc.
      Max oil temp attained to date is 249.1*F and that's the temp peak at shut down after blazing about 20-miles of freeway at 80MPH with an ambient temp of approx 98*F.
      To date I have not noticed a temp higher than 222*F while running.
      I have therefore adopted a mental picture of temps about 5% higher (232*F Running, 263*F Shutdown Peak) as points which would trigger a notion something has gone amiss and begin to get concerned.

Comment

Working...
      X