Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what should I expect to pay for sprockets and chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what should I expect to pay for sprockets and chain?

I plan on replacing them (front, rear sprockets and chain) eventually, and I was wondering how much I should expect to pay for a middle of the road set. I dont need the highest end set, nor do I want the cheapest. just looking for average... standard set up.

btw, I have a 1982 GS750e.

also, I need to replace a few gaskets in the top end, and looking through eBay, my cheapest option is to buy an entire set,this one, rather than individually, but I dont want to be replacing them next winter. is there something I need to look out for with a set like this? or are most gasket sets pretty similar?

Thanks,

Nate

Hey Nate, Check out These Places.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

You should be able to get a BallPark Estimate at Least.:-D
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

RK 530 X-ring chain is about $65 at mawonline.com. http://www.mawonline.com/rk.htm#Chain/sprocket%20kits

JT sprokets will set you back about $50 for both.

From what I've read, Athena gaskets are not as good are the Vesrah. I bought a Vesrah kit from Sudco for a good price and was happy. http://www.sudco.com/
      Last edited by Nessism; 02-03-2007, 06:18 PM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

thanks guys, I will do a little browsing later tonight...

Comment

Originally posted by NATEO View Post
          thanks guys, I will do a little browsing later tonight...
          Take a look at Dennis Kirk's generic Part's Unlimited X-ring chain, Good stuff, Japanese, not Chinese made, best chain I've ever used, and I've used the name brands Tsubaki, RK, others. Pretty cheap, IIRC with a couple of extra clip style links it was about $75 bucks, sprockets ran about $55 or so. What makes it a deal is no shipping charge if order is over $100. If order is under one hundred it pays to check other dealers.

www.denniskirk.com

Comment

Originally posted by NATEO View Post
            I plan on replacing them (front, rear sprockets and chain) eventually, and I was wondering how much I should expect to pay for a middle of the road set. I dont need the highest end set, nor do I want the cheapest. just looking for average... standard set up.

btw, I have a 1982 GS750e.

also, I need to replace a few gaskets in the top end, and looking through eBay, my cheapest option is to buy an entire set,this one, rather than individually, but I dont want to be replacing them next winter. is there something I need to look out for with a set like this? or are most gasket sets pretty similar?

Thanks,

Nate
            Nate, what gaskets? I have a complete engine rebuild gasket kit that I don't need from my 1100. A lot of gaskets are identicle 750 and 1100.

Comment

You can also check out iMotorcycle.com they ship quickly and have really good prices.

I have a question about z1enterprises How the Heall do you check your order status online?

Comment

Last time I bought a decent 630 chain and sprocket set it cost me around $130. You gonna go with a 530 conversion or stick with the 630?
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                  Last time I bought a decent 630 chain and sprocket set it cost me around $130. You gonna go with a 530 conversion or stick with the 630?
                  whats the benefit of the conversion? I havent really thought about it...

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                    How can I tell what chain my 1981 GS750L has? It is original chain, with 9800 miles on the odometer. Do I just count the links to get the length? I don't know how long this bike sat in a friend's garage before I bought it, but every time I move it, little pieces of the o-rings fall out of the chain. They have to be dry rotted all to hellope!!! Pretty good friend too, I got this bike off his brother for $350.
                    1981 GS750L (sold)
                    1981 GS750L (current)
                    1978 Yamaha RD400 (RD = Race Development)
                    1981 Honda CT70 (86+ MPG at WOT most of the time)
                    1983 GS1100GL (needs work: update, gone to a new home)
                    1956 Simplex (with a TS250 motor)
                    1985 GS1150E (Hammer Time!!)
                    1998 1200 Bandit (Rattler)
                    1980 GS1100L (Janice)
                    Do I continue?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col Jeff Cooper
                    e tan, e epi tan

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman001 View Post
                      How can I tell what chain my 1981 GS750L has? It is original chain, with 9800 miles on the odometer. Do I just count the links to get the length? I don't know how long this bike sat in a friend's garage before I bought it, but every time I move it, little pieces of the o-rings fall out of the chain. They have to be dry rotted all to hellope!!! Pretty good friend too, I got this bike off his brother for $350.
                      Clean off one of the links. You should see an id stamped on the face. If it's really the original chain it's probably a 630.

Count the number of links. The inies & the outies. Also count the number of teeth on the sprockets.

Contact the folks at z1 enterprises. www.z1enterprises.com. They'll give you all the help you need whether you go with a stock chain, or a 530 conversion. They sold me an RK530 o-ring chain, both sprockets and a spacer for about $160 bucks, delivered.

Comment

Working...
                      X