Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450E - Stripped Threads on Sump Plug

Hi everyone.

I changed the oil today on my GS450E (1988). I rotated the plug the wrong way at first because when I came to refit it, the threads had stripped.

In desperation I wrapped some PTFE plumbers tape around the threads and took it out for a spin. So far so good, but this is only a temporary repair obviuosly .

Can anyone tell me please what thread size the plug is so that I can tap it out and fit a new plug.

Thanks

Gary

This help?

You can also drill and tap a hole in your existing drain plug for a smaller bolt, then install the old plug permanently with JB Weld. It will stay in so you don't ruin your engine while you look for a new pan. If you tap the hole in the pan in place you will get metal fragments inside the engine.
    Last edited by tkent02; 02-03-2007, 12:57 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Take your plug to auto parts store and ask for an oversize plug. They have 2 sizis over standard. All you do is dab some grease on end of new plug, keeping it square you just tighten it in. It is tapered and will cut new threads, filings stay on grease. When new threads are cut you can cut the tapered part of the plug off and it will look original. I've used them several times, can't beat them.

Comment

For when you are really serious. :-)

I did this mostly because the 4 into 1 pipes got in the way, the plug was stripped anyway and held in with silastic when I bought the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay View Post
          Take your plug to auto parts store and ask for an oversize plug. They have 2 sizis over standard. All you do is dab some grease on end of new plug, keeping it square you just tighten it in. It is tapered and will cut new threads, filings stay on grease. When new threads are cut you can cut the tapered part of the plug off and it will look original. I've used them several times, can't beat them.
          DITTO

i did this last year and havn't had a problem since.:-D

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay View Post
            Anyone know if you can get these things in the UK?

Comment

Surely you can. If I understand correctly, It's a plug just a little larger than the one tefloned into your pan.

Comment

Working...
              X