Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do i need a gasket kit?

HI guys,

i'm about to replace the top end of my 1074 motor (1982) with a wisecokit etc. i have all the head and base gaskets.

thing i would like an opinion on is.. do i need a gasket kit?

i have previously gooped up the tappet cover and it doesnt leak, altho there is a remote possibility of some goop dropping off the inside and blocking an oil gallery.

also the alternator and ignition covers i used a liquid sealant too.

are the gasket kits really necessary?

at $130 AUD it's kind of expensive.

thoughts?

Cheers

Ed

I would fit new gaskets. You will only need to order the specific gaskets rather than a kit. BTW where did you price it from?? what is it to fit??

Dink

Comment

hey Dink,

Im getting a price through "cyanide racing" a mob in QLD. I found them thru using the Aussie Streetfighters forum which i get on to from time to time.

i figure on installing the wiseco kit and new cylinders, new timing chain and manual adjuster.

then i thought about splitting the cases for a bit of a look see, so figured a gasket kit maybe handy.

I may just order gaskets separately tho, as im sure i wont need alot of them.
      trying to save some $$ as i would love to put a new set of cams in at the same time.

just jetting up the 38mm mikunis now on the stock engine and boy has it woken up the old girl, coupled with a GSXR front and 180 rear boy is it fun!

Cheers

Ed

Comment

If you split the cases you will only need the clutch cover, stator cover & sump gasket. If you do split the cases take a REALLY close look at the bearings that support the gearshafts,very very little play is too much, also do the the clutch hub if there is any play or noise from it,these two items make a HUGE differenece to the motor feel and gearchanging.

Dink

Comment

Hi Dink,

As usual, always great advice

i shall proceeed with that info in mind.

thanks very much.

Cheers

Ed

Comment

Working...
          X