Float adjustment clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float adjustment clarification

This is for my own sanity more than anything else. I searched and found bits of this already listed but not all in one place so for peace of mind I am asking.

I have a 1980 GS850L
    CV Carburetor
    original everything, exhaust, air intake
    clean

I measured my floats from where the gaskets go to the bottom of the first curve below the metal that holds the float on the pivot. The book said between 21.4 and 23.4 mm. I set it to 22.4.

My question is the measurement felt off, just gut feeling, anyone know for shore this is right?
    And if I set it at the angle it would be on the bike and place gas into it through the intake will it over flow if the floats are not set right or will the floats stop the gas from letting more in?

I think it will stop the gas from over flowing the carb if the floats are stet up right.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2007, 12:14 AM.

You had the gasket removed, right? Overflowing carbs is a symptom of poor seating of the the needle & seat, not float hieght.

Dink

Comment

Thank you so much for responding.

yes, no gasket, and from that if I fill it up with gas off from the bike and it leaks then I need to look to the Needle and seat. Got it. Thank you.
      Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2007, 12:45 AM. Reason: add more info

Comment

Update

I got the floats to the right levels, filed them up with gas not on the bike and no gas came out.

Got the carbs back on the bike now I feel it is running a little rich. How do I adjust for this?

CV Carbs and everything is original.

Comment

Originally posted by bcrowther View Post
          Got the carbs back on the bike now I feel it is running a little rich. How do I adjust for this?
          Why do you "feel" its running rich? What's happening?

Comment

Working...
          X