Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can Idle but I can Rev sometime please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can Idle but I can Rev sometime please Help!

Hi GS Riders this is my first post.

-1983 GS850GLD or GL w/ CV Carbs
    -Brought out of 6+ year storage
    -Dipped, cleaned, replaced all float-needles and seats, all air mixture screws w/sprng o-ring and washer, cleaned pilot jets and main jets, cleaned float bowl passage, cleaned air filter.
    -checked pet-cock by flowing on prime and sucking the vac line ( its good )
    -checked tank pet-cock screen ( its good )
    -synced carbs with manometer
    -Mixture screws are set at 2.5 turns

Right now I can start the bike with no choke on normal pet-cock setting and it idles but when I go to give it some gas it revs a little and bogs down to a halt. Periodically I tried running it on PRIME with no choke and it idles and revs, sputters then revs high and sounds good. After that I switch back to normal pet-cock setting and it idles and revs, sputters then revs high and sounds good. Sometimes I notice a little carb pop or puff.

The only thing that I have not done is fill the tank with gas and set float levels or checked the timing

Please Help, any advice would be greatly appreciated

Is the bike all stock ie. air box and exhaust? Are you sure that you've checked for air leaks at all the connection points before and after the carbs? How many miles are on the bike? Have you checked the valve clearance? There are many things that it could be, let us know.

Comment

check your "vacuum" side of the petcock. Make sure that all parts of it are clear. You might have a clog in one of the outlet ports causing you to not be able to get the bike enough gas.

Comment

Originally posted by lord1234 View Post
        check your "vacuum" side of the petcock. Make sure that all parts of it are clear. You might have a clog in one of the outlet ports causing you to not be able to get the bike enough gas.
        As a side note...have you reconnected the vacuum line to the #3 carb?

Comment

Read the MANY posts (some by me) about restoring bikes that have been sitting. As Dave said, the symptoms you're describing could be due to one or more common issues that are typical with bikes that have been sitting for years.

Comment

Did you check the float heighth?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X