16 Valve vs. 8 Valve - Which have...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by terbang View Post
    Pretty close though there was a GSX 1100LT (GS 1100L) sold down under in 82 that had a 16 valve engine. Quite a rare beast..
    The T in LT stand for 1980. They headed your way when they couldn't sell anywhere else.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks again Y-ALL, for the info on GS 8 and 16 valve engine choices. Perfect :-D

And also THANKS for the bonus info your giving me... cause of my sig. line.

Yes there are lots of opinions on what is comfortable. Probably, Doctors and high mileage riders would even agree on a good posture, in many instances.
      Then again, due to different body types, different riding styles, past injuries, and diffrent riding priorities... individuals might adapt a commonly held belief, for one that may work better for them.

For me, the jury is still out... I know what position would be best for having fun in the twisties... but (for me) having much weight on my hands and having my knees bent at a much tighter angle than 90 drgrees - is not comfortable for very long. Meanwhile, I can enjoy a good book or a 3-hour football game, in my "Lazy-Boy" chair easily.

Getting comfortable on a long m/c ride, while being ready for good handling performance is not working out easy for me. Long arms and legs - multiple knee surjuries - a healed broken neck (hang-gliding accident 23 years ago) are challenges for me.
      I wish I was 5'10" - with no nagging past injuries - I'd have my pick of any style of m/c out there. But, oh well, that's not the case.

Maybe this would be a good thread topic for someone to toss out one of these days ..... Thanks again :-D :-D

Comment

24 bolt valve cover

I was talking to a local owner of a GS1100 - he said something about some differences in the engines - some have 20 bolt valve covers others have 24 bolt - does this relate to 8 valve versus 16 valve?

Comment

80 and 81 1100s have 20 bolt valve covers. The rest (16 valve) have 24.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
            I was talking to a local owner of a GS1100 - he said something about some differences in the engines - some have 20 bolt valve covers others have 24 bolt - does this relate to 8 valve versus 16 valve?
            Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            80 and 81 1100s have 20 bolt valve covers. The rest (16 valve) have 24.
            Both the 20 & 24 bolt covers relate to 16 Valve motors, the change point is mid 82, same time as the change to welded crankpins, the stator taper & starter journal size.
            So the bolt pattern on the cover can be used as an indication of what is in the motor.
            N.B. 24 bolt has bolts on camchain tunnel, 20 does not.
            Dink

Comment

Do the 24 bolt covers leak less?

Was the idea that Suzuki could add four bolts, and that would minimize oil leaking from the valve covers?

What does history say... did it work, in general?

Comment

Originally posted by GregM. View Post
                Thanks again Y-ALL, for the info on GS 8 and 16 valve engine choices. Perfect :-D

And also THANKS for the bonus info your giving me... cause of my sig. line.

Yes there are lots of opinions on what is comfortable. Probably, Doctors and high mileage riders would even agree on a good posture, in many instances.
                Then again, due to different body types, different riding styles, past injuries, and diffrent riding priorities... individuals might adapt a commonly held belief, for one that may work better for them.

For me, the jury is still out... I know what position would be best for having fun in the twisties... but (for me) having much weight on my hands and having my knees bent at a much tighter angle than 90 drgrees - is not comfortable for very long. Meanwhile, I can enjoy a good book or a 3-hour football game, in my "Lazy-Boy" chair easily.

Getting comfortable on a long m/c ride, while being ready for good handling performance is not working out easy for me. Long arms and legs - multiple knee surjuries - a healed broken neck (hang-gliding accident 23 years ago) are challenges for me.
                I wish I was 5'10" - with no nagging past injuries - I'd have my pick of any style of m/c out there. But, oh well, that's not the case.

Maybe this would be a good thread topic for someone to toss out one of these days ..... Thanks again :-D :-D
                Normally I would guarantee that lower bars would make you more comfortable. But that would not be the case if your neck injury did not allow you keep your head facing up the road with your body leaned slightly forward. It sounds like your comfort situation may be more limited by your injuries than your height. I can relate. Both of my shoulders and my left wrist are arthritic from injuries, my back has been operated on, and I have an artificial right hip. If you keep adjusting things including your body, you will find the configuration you need for long hours in the saddle. You start by defining exactly which position each of your hurt parts has to be in to feel best; then figure out how you need to be sitting for them to be in those positions. It may be you need cruiser seating.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Thats interesting Dink. I have two 1100 engines one a 1980 model, in pieces though its only done less than 10,000 kays that I dismantled due to accident damage on the engine casings and the other one, a 1982 model with the 24 bolt cover and welded pins. The 82 engine unfortunatly has as dodgey rod (small end scored and pitted). I am planning on changing the entire crank out of the 80 which has been stored in anti corrosion oil for 10 years now and passes a runout test. Any pitfalls there that you could see by fitting that into the 82 engine..? Its not welded but then I don't rev the heck out of these old girls anyway.

Comment

Hey greg, Excuse me everybody for what I will write but it just occured to me that I knew a guy that was pretty tall and he drove a 70's Gold wing stripped down to look like a standard. It was a real cool looking bike and it would haul ass. I think the bare look on the old goldwings is fairly common. Ive seen a few like this over the years. I'll bet a gold wing would be comfy or can easily be made to be more accomidating.

Come to think of it there are alot of bikes that could fit. KZ1300. Maybe Even a Suzuki GK model stripped down.

Heracy, I know, but things is as they is. 8-[

Comment

dpep. check out this link. Handlebar risers or barbacks are a great help to me. Ive got all you mentioned and two buckets more. these helped my riding stance immensely and you cant tell they are on the bike to look at it.
                      http://www.zianet.com/genmar/

Comment

Originally posted by terbang View Post
                        Thats interesting Dink. I have two 1100 engines one a 1980 model, in pieces though its only done less than 10,000 kays that I dismantled due to accident damage on the engine casings and the other one, a 1982 model with the 24 bolt cover and welded pins. The 82 engine unfortunatly has as dodgey rod (small end scored and pitted). I am planning on changing the entire crank out of the 80 which has been stored in anti corrosion oil for 10 years now and passes a runout test. Any pitfalls there that you could see by fitting that into the 82 engine..? Its not welded but then I don't rev the heck out of these old girls anyway.
                        The Main problem you will strike is the later stator will not mount correctly; due to it being for a 1 in 7 taper, the earlier crank runs a 1 in 5 taper, the starter clutch assembly is also different, the later crank runs a 35mm journal, and the earlier is 31mm.
                        So if you get the correct starter gear and stator rotor you are set.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McNaney View Post
                          Hey greg, Excuse me everybody for what I will write but it just occured to me that I knew a guy that was pretty tall and he drove a 70's Gold wing stripped down to look like a standard. It was a real cool looking bike and it would haul ass. I think the bare look on the old goldwings is fairly common. Ive seen a few like this over the years. I'll bet a gold wing would be comfy or can easily be made to be more accomidating.

Come to think of it there are alot of bikes that could fit. KZ1300. Maybe Even a Suzuki GK model stripped down.

Heracy, I know, but things is as they is. 8-[
                          Actually the first Goldwings were stripped down bikes..they didn't have fairings and saddle bags when they first came out. Most were added later when folks found out how nice they were on long distance runs.

Hap

Comment

Working...
                          X