Cyl 1 & 2 Lean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyl 1 & 2 Lean

Ok, my bike starts easily, idles fine, runs great, with good pull from idle to top end no hiccups along the way and no backfire on deceleration.
    Cyl1 burns white tan, Cyl2 more White and Cyl3, Cyl4 nice Tan. headers 1 and 2 show some heat discoloration nearest to the flange (more so at Cyl2, as can be expected from the more white plug). Sometimes on acceleration there's a hint of pinging (I think), maybe sometimes on acceleration coming out of a corner.
    Can't find anything amiss with the carbs, float levels seem to be OK and they are stock as far as I can tell. I changed to brand new OEM intake boots and O-rings and there are no air leaks to be found. The vacuum tube from Carb2 to petcock is fine and not leaking. Original airbox and filter on the intake side. MAC 4 into 2 Exhaust. Running D8EA plugs or Iridium DR8EIX yields same result. I'm using the bike no problem, but something is just not right and it's bugging the crap out of me. Seems to be something in the high speed circuit? Any ideas?
    Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2007, 03:00 AM.

Take out your idle mixture screws out 1/4 to 1/2 (out on CV carbs and in on VM carbs) turn on those two cylinders and see if that helps.
    I just cleared up a prob I had with the #3 cylinder that read lean.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Does the idle rise significantly from cold to completely warmed up?
      Sounds lean for sure. Pinging could be the timing too advanced but pinging is also a lean related condition.
      You can try simple richer mixture screw adjustments and test. Most likely more involved though. If you have to adjust the screws more than a 1/2 turn richer than 3 and 4 then you're getting into compensation jetting which never works well. Where are the screws set now?
      If carb related, most likely the main circuit is lean, which could be the jet needle and/or main jet/passages. A poor vacuum synch can contribute to a lean condition. It usually doesn't cause such a lean condition, pinging/whitish plugs, but does contribute.
      Poor valve clearances also contribute. Head gasket leak can cause a lean condition at two cylinders.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Idle does not rise significantly from cold to warmedup.
        Next weekend is a long one (Carnival) since I'm not taking part in that, I will work on the carbs some. Thanks for the tips, will let you know progress.

Comment

Working...
        X