mounting carbs with no o-ring tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mounting carbs with no o-ring tubes

The bike is a 750T (83). I cleaned up carbs and purchased new tubes for the head connection. I am having a hard time mounting carbs and think there is something about the tubes I am not lining up properly. Any suggestions?

The new intake hoses should be marked R and L. Make sure you have them on the L left side or R right side (facing towards front of bike). I rotate them until they appear straight up and down. If you have the stock air box than you will have trouble because it is a tight fit. Try putting the intake side of carb rack into the intake hoses with the carb rack tilted under the air box boots. Force the airbox side over the boots while pushing the intake side into the hoses. You need to have the airbox as far back as you can. If you have old and hard airbox boots good luck. Try heating them with a hairdryer or something to make them more pliable. You might need to get new airbox boots also. This is the main reason I went with pod filters but that opened up a whole new can of worms.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

rgierer,
      When I first pulled my carbs on my GS850, I noted that the intake tubes are not identical in length and shape. The carbset width is different than the intake manifold width, and the intake tubes have a small amount of angle to match the unequal widths. I was lucky to note that while I still had them all laid out properly, and I permanently scribed the aluminum bases with a vibro-tool to make sure I always got them back in the same place. If they are assembled out of order, that could easily cause you a difficult time sliding the carb throats into the intakes.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDanger View Post
        rgierer,
        When I first pulled my carbs on my GS850, I noted that the intake tubes are not identical in length and shape. The carbset width is different than the intake manifold width, and the intake tubes have a small amount of angle to match the unequal widths. I was lucky to note that while I still had them all laid out properly, and I permanently scribed the aluminum bases with a vibro-tool to make sure I always got them back in the same place. If they are assembled out of order, that could easily cause you a difficult time sliding the carb throats into the intakes.
        Yep, when you order new ones, #2,#3 are the same part number and #1,#4 are a different part number.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

He has the intake hoses that clamp directly onto the engine intake. No o-rings or bolts. The part numbers are the same for 1&2 cylinders and 3&4 cylinders.

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Alright Chef1366, ya jes threw me a curve there.... you saying that all four tubes are identical or that 1 & 2 are identical to each other, but different from 3 & 4 which are also identical to each other?

I'm not arguing, just want to clarify. I always want to cram my brain with as much info as possible. I realize that different models even though similar can have vastly different setups.

I will accept schooling from anyone, anytime

Comment

It appears that most of my guidance is for the o-rng type tubes. So I think the bottom line is, pull off carbs and rotate tubes about a bit and maybe I can get them lined up, at least they are new tubes.

Comment

Alright Chef1366, ya jes threw me a curve there.... you saying that all four tubes are identical or that 1 & 2 are identical to each other, but different from 3 & 4 which are also identical to each other?

I'm not arguing, just want to clarify. I always want to cram my brain with as much info as possible. I realize that different models even though similar can have vastly different setups.

I will accept schooling from anyone, anytime
                1&2 are the same and 3&4 are the same, but the two sets are different. I'm not trying to "school" anyone. I'm just familar with this style setup.:-D

Comment

No problem chef... I thought that was what you were saying. I at times over-analyze what I read, and can convince myself of nearly anything depending on how late in the day it is, and how early I got up that morning

Comment

No problem chef... I thought that was what you were saying. I at times over-analyze what I read, and can convince myself of nearly anything depending on how late in the day it is, and how early I got up that morning
                    I reread what I wrote and can see where you'd have a problem deciphering all that jazz.
                    I think all the 16 valve motors came with that type of intake.

Comment

When you look at the above scheatic it appears that #22 and #23 are differnt numbers but pretty consistently with bike bandit only one of those numbera are available. I suspect I have to put the one side in upside down or something for it to work properly.

I have 4 of the #22 and none of the #23 as they are not on the list

Comment

That is more than likely your problem. Try here. http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

Try and return 2 of them. Look on the pipes. They are marked R and L.

Comment

Chef, I followed your instructions and found them with the same part numbers

Comment

DOH! Thanks for opening my eyes. I see they replaced the part # with the other. Oh well, maybe you do need to turn them around.

sorry for the wild goose chase.

Comment

no problem...at this point I was just looking for ideas. I thought I was careful and attentive when I switched them but I guess not good enough

Comment

Working...
                              X