82 gs650 front brake help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs650 front brake help

Ok here's the deal, First off is it a gs650l orgs650gl? ive got one disk for the front, with the step seat.
    But anyways here's my problem... I've just bought the bike and it didn't have a front brake caliper, so i bought one (used) and it didn't fit. it was for the right bike (i thought). But anyways did suzuki make 2 different calipers? like was the 650l model's disk bigger because there was only one? Im pretty sure i have the right rim and tire setup, because after looking at all the pics in the manual and online it looks to be correct. I do know that there were 2 different types of forks, mine have the cap on the bottom with 2 studs. Was there a different caliper setup or am i just retarded and have a disk that is too big.

Basically the problem lies when tring to mount the caliper to the fork. one hole fits fine, then i cant get the other one to line up because the disk blocks it. any help would be great. what should the dimensions be of a correct disk?

New GS owner,

Danny

The L model had a different fork and rotor than the G model. The L model Rotor has straight fingers extending from the center whereas the G model had a pattern coming from the center. I don't think The rotors are the same.

As to the calipers, the G had dual disks and the calipers are not the same. The master Cylinders are really different, and are not interchangeable.
    Go to http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm and find your bike and see what part numbers come up. Then look at the D model and see what you have or don't have.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

My front wheel and everything looks to be correct, (the pattern from the rotor seems good). and i only have the one disc. My forks are not the model Z kind, they're the kind that have the studs on the left. It looks like the G model forks, but there is only one side that has the holes for a caliper. should i get new forks (used) or a caliper for the G model, or a new disk for the g model? or am i just retarded and should i mount the caliper first, and then mount the wheel underneath it but it would be snug enough?

here are some pics

Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2007, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Those sure look familiar, I think they are G model forks. They won't work on an L. They are too short for starters, and the caliper and rotor are probably not going to line up. Forks are available quite often on eBay for cheap, I would investigate a set. The L forks have a trailing axle design, the G forks have the axle centered on the fork ( like yours). THe headtube angle in the frame is different on the L, hence longer forks and the trailing axle. It brings the center of the wheel into alignment.

I suspect your forks were swapped and this is why there is no caliper. Those forks could be from a 550 ( they had single disk models) or a 750T (also with single disk) but I'm 99% sure they are incorrect for your bike.

Maybe someone here can help out with parts and advice. At this point you might be able to try a different caliper if you can figure out what forks you have, but the length and axle position are a concern, I would get the right forks and do it right.

ANyone else with an opinion on this chime right in,,,,,
        Last edited by duaneage; 02-13-2007, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Those are not L forks,somebody has switched them./Look at my pics and you can see what the difference is.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-13-2007, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Exactly. I thought the 650 had a trailing axle and in fact it's leading. Could you measure the length of the fork tubes and overall length, he'll need to know that to make sure what he buys is at least supposed to be correct. I think the diameter is 37mm on the G and the L models.

II think Focus Frenzy parted out a 650L model last year, PM him and see if he still has the front end.

Comment

the bottom fork is 15 1/2" and the overall length is 33" on mine. I dont know how the bikes sits for you but if the forks are the same length overall wouldnt you just get another caliper to fit?I would try a boneyard.They would be better than buying off of fle-bay.I have never had any luck on e-bay.I have a set of rear shocks that were suppose to fit my bike but when i put them on it squated 3". I think they would be ok for a 250 with an 80lb. rider.THe guy was suppose to send another pair but this is what I got. "The old bait and switch" I paid 80 bucks for these and their sitting in a box in my garage.I think Ill just frame them and hang them on the garage wall.

Comment

Would this pic be of use to you?

Comment

Yep that's what an L looks like.Although my axle bolt goes in opposite of that.I dont think it matter's as long as the spacer is in the right place.

Comment

Working...
                  X