Busted nuts...help, not Owww!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busted nuts...help, not Owww!

Ok, when I tried to loosen the airbox to remove the carbs I discoverd that the bolts that go into the air box on the left side (as you are sitting on the bike) are screwed. On one of them the nut seems to be stripped, I can just get a peek and it looks like threads are screwed and on the other it seems that the nut was broken free as the bolt just turns and turns...

In order to get the carbs out I ended up having to cut the bolt off on the one, but now with the threads screwed on the other I don't have a way to remount the plate that supports the R/R,ignitor, etc.

Can I just chase the threads on the one with a tap? Or will this only result in it breaking free as the other did? Anyone know what size tap I need as I don't feel safe using the bolt that came out of it as a guide, the PO had mix of hex and and machine head bolts and screws, some course thread some fine, going into the airbox. It looks like he just grabbed whatever was laying around and tried to use them.

I don't want to do anything that will screw up the airbox like cutting into it as I don't want to get into rejetting the thing...

Any advice as always is appreciated...

Parker

Chasing the threads is likely a waste of time, as much of the metal will be gone, taken out when the bolt began turning loosely.

I see no reason you could not use an oversize tap, and a matching bolt.

Small hint
    When the screw turns inside the mount area, you can sometimes get it out by inserting a screwdriver or other means to pry/lift the main unit forward. This apples a pressure against the threads, and may allow them to work as before, at least long enough to get the bolt/screw out..
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
      ...I see no reason you could not use an oversize tap, and a matching bolt...
      Either that or a Helicoil or similar device.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I hate that I'm down to one bolt on that side, but I'll make it work. Once that's done it'll be on to the charging system...I already did the Honda R/R upgrade. That lasted almost a year, but now either that has died or the stator has finally given up the ghost.

Comment

Working...
        X