Petcock Vacuum Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock Vacuum Question

I tore apart the petcock last night and everything was clean inside. While I had it apart, I sucked on the vacuum hose and found that there is some air entering. It still pulled the plug the way it should, but I heard a little hiss. I was actually getting air through the vacuum tube. I'm assuming this is not supposed to happen and that the seal should be air tight. Am I correct? If that is the case, I will probably just pick up a rebuild kit and get a new seal on there.
    THanks again for the help.

The diaphram rebuild kits are junk, like most aftermarket parts are. Do yourself a favor and go to www.bikebandit.com and buy an original oem petcock and forget for another 20 years.

Comment

I forgot to mention. You should be able to pull and maintain a vacuum in the vacuum hose indefinately. It definately needs replaced.

Comment

You have to be very careful with a petcock where the diaphragm is shot. When this happens fuel flows down the vacuum line into the body of the carb and down into the intake port washing the cylinder clean and allowing fuel to make it down into the crankcases.

Personally I do not like (or trust) vacuum petcocks - I tend to replace any that are suspect with a manual petcock.

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay View Post
          The diaphram rebuild kits are junk, like most aftermarket parts are. Do yourself a favor and go to www.bikebandit.com and buy an original oem petcock and forget for another 20 years.
          As someone pointed out to me already http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com is cheaper. For a GS850GLD Flatout wants $41.19, Bike Bandit wants $51.86. Adds up the more parts you buy.

Comment

I had the same problem. I bought a rebuild kit off ebay. It still leaked. Do yourself a favor and buy a new petcock.

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
              As someone pointed out to me already http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com is cheaper. For a GS850GLD Flatout wants $41.19, Bike Bandit wants $51.86. Adds up the more parts you buy.

So this is the second time someone has told you to replace the whole petcock? What ya gonna do. Buy it where ever you want, just buy it and forget it.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm ordering a new petcock today.

Comment

That's the ticket. I've seen too many people get heartburn over just clicking on a link, picking up the phone or going to your local bike parts shop!
                  Slap it on and forget about it!
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

From a post here, appx. 3 wks ago, andrewclaycomb ordered a new pet cock from www.flatoutmotorcycles.com, and when he installed it, it was leaking as bad as the one he was replacing. I've rebuilt 2 within the past 2 years, & they haven't given any trouble at all. DECISIONS, DECISIONS
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Just go to the dealer and pay the price. My dealer met the price of the on line supplier. Just ask. What's the worse they can say--"No"? And no leaks.

Comment

Working...
                      X