Assembly Lube ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assembly Lube ???

Hi to all and thanks for all the past help. I am in process of rebuilding my 82 gs1100gl. I remember replacing a cam on a car once and the shop had recommended Molybendum lube which I gooped up all over the cam before installing it. When I recently asked my auto parts store about it they suggested "assembly lube" which I bought, but this is a small tube and I don't believe it's for the same application. I remember a large grease gun size tube of Molybendum. I'm wondering if this assembly lube is anti-seize compound that I believe is used on threads before assembly.
    What do you guys suggest using prior to assembly to grease everything up well. Also my cams developed a slight rust film on them after being exposed. Should I clean this off and if so what is best to use?
    Thanks.
    Hope you guys are warm in the rest of the country. It has been way too cold here in NY. I hope I see a riding season soon.

Eddie V

lube

Stotch pads for the rust and i use engine oil for the cams. Just make sure u use heaps and fill the area where the lobes/buckets sit before u put the cover on. Also have the plugs removed and wind the engine over by hand to make sure nothing touches, then by the starter motor to pump the oil through. Thats what i do anyway

Comment

You need assembly lube on new cam lobes. Not nesessary for used cam lobes. just heavy oil will do.
      Assembly lube has come along way in the past couple years. Molybendum lubes are old tech now. since initial break ins are above 2000 rpm for new parts. The lube needs to be able to stay in the grain of the metal. The new assembly lubes have a finer structure and better film strength. Most all new parts that need it are supplied with the proper assembly lube for the application.

Only oil on bearing surfaces no assembly lube!

Better Safe than sorry as Ive learned

Comment

After reading it again I must clarify.
        If you cleaned the cams with gas or in a parts cleaner then you WILL need assembly lube.
        Its best to only clean used cams with air and lint free cloth. If washed in a solvent then the embedded petrolium is gone frome the metals grain.

Comment

You should find assembly lube in a plastic bottle with a spout. Mine's Permatex #81950
          It is thick and tacky, like pancake syrup.
          Use it in small quantities on the lobes and bearing areas. I used less than an ounce on my entire motor rebuild
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
          X