Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lazer line up for sprockets

Hey dudes and dudets,

I made a lazer alingment tool out of a piece of scrap alum and a cheap keychain lazer. all you have to do is calibrate it.
    All I did was get a ruler, strait edge and a stick. Measured the distance off the surface to the center of the lazer light. Then set up the stick a couple feet away, turn the lazer until it is ligned up with the mark on the stick and a little duct tape and bob's your uncle.

I used a 10mm piece of stock which made the lazer 5mm above that so when I put the rod on the rear sprocket with the lazer in front of the sprocket the light is in the middle of the teeth and then I just aligned it with the front sprocket. More info on my site under "techzone"
    Last edited by katman; 02-19-2007, 02:02 AM.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Ingenious. I just did a 530 chain conversion. Had to get that 6mm spacer for the front to make the sprockets line up. But I wonder just how "true" that is.

Comment

Tom,

6mm? is that in conjunction with the stock spacer? If you just did a conversion you shouldn't need any spacers.
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

The 530 front sprocket is thinner. It doesn't have the off-set a stock sprocket has. At least on the '78 GS1000. I can't speak for other models. Anyway, without the spacer the chain would rub on the tranny casing. Some genius smarter than me decided it needed to be 6mm thick to keep in in the proper alignment.

Comment

ahhh, IC, the 80 and newer have a flat sprog and don't need a spacer. It is thinner but the face of the sprog against the spacer is still the same distance from the cases as the 630. I wonder if an 80 spacer would do it for ya?
          the stock spacer for an 80 and up 1100 is 18.60mm.
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Tom,
            I just checked the '79 1000c and the sprocket is flat like the 80 1100. it also has an 18.60 spacer. Even though the sprocket is thinner the closest face against the spacer is the same distance from the cases as the stock 630.
            the stock 630 even has a cush on it making it even closer to the cases.

I would check yours out. I think you will find no extra spacer is needed unless you go with a wider rear wheel. If I am right, you will destroy your chain and sprockets in a day with a 6mm outline.
            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Tom,

the sprocket listed for your bike is the same as mine...lose the spacer dude.
              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Here's the info from JT Sprockets/Z1 Enterprises on the 530 chain conversion. Scroll down to the bottom to see the explaination for the spacer. http://www.z1enterprises.com/referen...n630to530.aspx

Comment

Tom,

ignore that information it isn't relitive to your suzi. You just need to pick up any gsxr front sprocket from late 80's early 90's and your good to go. the rear sprockets fit as well. I run a strait gixxer set of sprockets and you can too with out any difficulty. Your stock sprocket has no off set.
                  The site you are looking at may be referring to the kawi which has an offset on the stock sprocket.

check you '80 it will be identical to your '79.
                  KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

My stock sprocket had an offset. That, plus the fact that the 530 sprocket is thinner makes the spacer necessary.

Back up a couple of posts Rob. I have a '78 GS1000, not a '79. What a difference a year makes. Still, I know of one other person who needed a spacer. Another Rob, who rides a '82/'83 GS1100. But I think his spacer was thinner. The way he described it, it was no more than a fat washer.

Seems like there are subtle differences between models & even model years. Enough to keep the sprocket people in business.

Comment

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops,

ok THEN thats what I was tryin to tell ya. Since you have a stock offset then yes...I was wrong!!!!! the thickness or thinness of the sprocket has no bearing on things though cuz the inside face always remains the same distance from the cases. 1/2 inch thick or 1/8 thick both are the same distance cuz the spacer is in the way.
                      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
                        Seems like there are subtle differences between models & even model years. Enough to keep the sprocket people in business.
                        I agree. And this http://www.z1enterprises.com/referen...n630to530.aspx may be misleading because I don't see what bike/model they are talking about.

I just put a new front sprocket on my 82' GS1100E. The one that was on it was not the original with damping plate. It had a raised area (maybe 6 MM) facing toward the cases. But I noticed the outside of the teeth were worn shiny, with no wear on the inside. The new sprocket had the same raised/thicker area on one side. I face it inward to move the sprocket away from the cases. A couple days later, I noticed the same shiny wear on the outside of the teeth, no wear on the inside. So I took it off and reversed it, with the thicker area facing out. The chain clears the cases just fine. I'm guessing the first sprocket was installed incorrectly by the shop were I had it done the first time. May be a coincidence, but I know that my last chain didn't last very long.

This subject has caused me more confusion than just about anything. But the way I have it now seems to make sense, because the stock damping plate, that I can see in the diagram, is on the outside, and I think that is the side where you need the thicker buildup of the replacement sprocket, at least on my bike
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2007, 01:35 PM.

Comment

OK, lets be perfectly clear about this.

the 79-83 gs750/1000/1100 all have a flat stock countershaft sprocket. LOok at the pics and you will see under the stock dampening rings or whatever they are you see a flat sprocket. Left is stock 630, right is gsxr 530.

NOw, in the pic also you see I have removed the outer rings from the stock sprog. There is a slight indentation but that is where the rings live. The ridge is in the middle of the sprog so there is no offset.

The only time an offset is needed for these bikes is when a larger or different rear wheel is used.

Maybe this would be useful to add to my website. seems to be some confusion here.

Last edited by katman; 02-19-2007, 01:49 PM.
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
                            My stock sprocket had an offset. That, plus the fact that the 530 sprocket is thinner makes the spacer necessary.

Back up a couple of posts Rob. I have a '78 GS1000, not a '79. What a difference a year makes. Still, I know of one other person who needed a spacer. Another Rob, who rides a '82/'83 GS1100. But I think his spacer was thinner. The way he described it, it was no more than a fat washer.

Tom,

Your stock sprocket does not have an offset. I just checked. It is the same sprocket number from suzuki from 78-83. Maybe you could post a pic of the stocker? Don't confuse the ridge cut out (if its a new sprog) for an offset.
                            All the sprockets and spacer are the same spanning 78-83. If you do an alignment you will see your chain is well out of line.
                            cheers,
                            Last edited by katman; 02-19-2007, 01:58 PM.
                            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

I thought all this spacer/clearance stuff was sorted out long ago?
                              I haven't done the conversion yet so I haven't bothered to look at things myself. I'm intently watching what you guys decide on.
                              Without taking off my sprocket I'm a little fuzzy on what's there but the inside "half" of the factory collar/dampening unit isn't really spacing anything is it? Is it just for the chain to ride on or does it actually contact part of the splined shaft and dictate how far the sprocket slips on? If no collar-to-shaft contact happens, then it's not really a spacer but it's first impression is that it looks like one.
                              As the replies come in, it's still confusing what's the right procedure.
                              As far as I've seen, the '78/'79 GS1000, straight from the factory, uses the same sprocket with the dampening collars.
                              katman, what's this 18.60 spacer you mention? Are you saying for GS1000's you need this 18.60 spacer on the outside of the replacement 530 or are you saying you need no spacer, period?
                              All I've ever heard was that you had to have this 6mm spacer on the inside and it seemed to be from several trusted sources.
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                              X