Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb Fork Question

DUMB FORK TUBE QUESTION:
    I have some pitting on my inner fork tube, which of course are no longer available from Suzuki, I was wondering if they can be sanded & polished smooth or do I need to replace the forks?

If the pitting is above the travel of the lower forks then it will cause no problems, you may be able to polish most of it out. There are companies that can re-chrome your forks, I have no idea what the cost will be in the US. A cheaper option may be a set of ebay or from a bike breakers.

Comment

Just curious what model bike you have? A few months ago I had to buy a new inner fork tube for mine. There was a spot about the size of a quarter, an inch or so above the lower tube, that had worn through the defective plating, and you could feel the roughness. I was tempted to try and sand it smooth, but new tubes were available, so I went that way.

You may be better off finding used replacement tubes or forks. Hard to tell without knowing what bike you have.

Comment

don't know the cost but if you have the fork specs for your bike this guy will make you a set of fork tubes...

Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, Inc., Evanston, IL, 60202, motorcycle fork tubes,forking by frank,german,japanese,spanish,chicago,motorcycle,forks,tubes,fork tubes,bikes,cycles,choppers,honda,suzuki,kawasaki,yamaha,bmw,triumph,bsa,norton,maico,harley davidson,, motorcycles,motorcycle parts,parts,engines

My current ride has a set of "forks by frank" as installed by the previous owner and I'm not having any issues...

Comment

polish with fine 1600-2400 wet and dry paper and wash with soapy water to get carbon out. If they are really bad better to re chrome them.

Comment

It is a 78 gs550e

Comment

I'd like to hear from anyone who bought a set of fork tubes from http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/ and what they cost and the impression with the service received.
              Thanks.

Comment

Check the chopper forums. They swear by Franks.

If the pitting isn't bad, (and worth a try if it is) fine sandpaper, clean with alcohol, smear of epoxy, let harden, fine sandpaper. If it doesn't work you just wasted $4.

Comment

Just hit eBay for a new set of forks. Got a real nice set for under $100 last week. Could have found 'em cheaper I'm sure, but I wanted 'em right away...

Comment

Working...
                  X