gas in my air filter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas in my air filter...

posted a reply in another thread but was like number 29 in the thread....

pulled off my air filter cover and the filter was wet with gas.

Obviously it must be coming from a carb...but how to tell where/which one?

What are the alternative approaches? I did just put some carb cleaner stuff in with the current tank of gas..could something just be blocked by some dirt knocked loose???

I'm prepared for the worse but hoping for the best news.....

[-o<

What you have is bad 0-rings in the needle valve seats.Check your oil and make sure there is no gas in there also. I just went thru this myself. All new orings in the carbs and it's fine now.Use regular air filter oil instead of engine oil when you oil your filter.If you want a quick fix order o-rings from robert bar and replace the ones in the needle seats and see if that fixes it.It will only take an hour or so to find out.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2007, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jbs80106 View Post
      could something just be blocked by some dirt knocked loose???
      Possible that something is hanging up a float needle. You can try to "run it" out by just putting on some miles. Ya better look at the oil level as well. Fuel could be in the crankcase too.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Update...

Okay, attempted to ride today. Curiousities...

- Bike wouldn't/couldn't get above 55 in any gear
        - throttle seems to max out with just a quarter turn...turning it further doesn't seem to get any more power...possibly just flooding the engine with more gas than it can use....
        - limped back home under limited power....just putting along in 1st
        - bike seems to be running very rich
        - seems gas is getting into air box when on the throttle..
        - starts right up and can idle all day without any gas appearing in air box.

What I did...
        - loosened throttle cable according to manual when I took starter out
        - put back together (maybe didn't tighten up throttle cable enough?)

Suspects:
        - Could be leaking valve in a carb...but gas doesn't flow into airbox when bike is just sitting....(maybe this is normal as petcock isn't letting any gas thru w/o vacuum?)
        - could be throttle is not adjusted correctly?
        - something else?

Figured I'd start with what I messed with before moving on to other 'problems' as bike was running fine before I F&CKed with it....

Comment

Suspicious cause...

Did some more poking around on my bike last night. On my bike, 1982 GS650G, the air box connects to a secondary 'box' which in turn feeds air to each of the 4 carbs. There is also a tube that runs from this 2nd box to the engine 'block'. It attaches at the top of where the cylinders actually are.

Where this tube connects to the 2nd air box it looks like its getting wet with either gas or oil...can't tell which.

1) what does this tube do? From the manual, it looks like all the air/fuel gets into the Cylinders from the carbs. Does it pull in additional air from here?

2) if I'm getting blow back here of fuel/oil, does that indicate a problem in the main engine or could a leaking carb cause it to happen but allowing too much fuel into the cylinders which then blows back?

I'm expecting I've got some pretty major work ahead of me. But it was fun while it lasted atleast.....

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

Comment

if that is a warm air house or cranshaft vent hose then i would guess you may have another hose blocked somewhere of the air filter is clogged forcing it to pull oil from your head

Comment

pictures....

Here is a link that should take you to some pics I just took.

Note the wet near the suspect tube...why would gas/oil come OUT of here?

Is the tube routed to the wrong place?

Thanks!

Comment

not sure what the hose is for but heres my guess

if its a breather hose then i would think....

initially you had carb probs causing fuel to overflow into the airbox and also wash past the rings

this has mixed with the oil and combined with a clogged air filter is being drawn back through the vent hose

initially check your oil for consistency, if it stinks of fuel then it needs changing twice with a few miles between changes

i had something similar with a car where a breather hose became clogged and created a pressure on a crankcase breather with normally drew warm air but in this case drew oil from the engine into the air filter

Comment

Thanks....

The oil definitely needs to be changed as its compromised now.

Its hard to know what came first....from all my reading, I guess I can't go wrong starting with cleaning carbs and replacing o-rings. Then change oil and see what happens?

I was leary to get into the carbs. PO had carbs done 2 years ago as was leaking gas...but I don't know if all the carbs got new rings or just the problem one.

I suppose I need to pull the carbs out and address the o-rings as the main culprit which allowed gas to flow into carb and then into oil...which caused the blowback.

Thanks for the help. Once I get into the carbs I'll probably be back with more questions.....

JB

Comment

no prob hope it helps

i would also look at the air filter element too in case its clogged

Comment

Working...
                    X