Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specific carb question

Hello,

I have a 79gs550, bone stock. I've pored over most of the carb-related threads, read my manual and the various materials here, but I want some specific advice.

I had gas leaking out of the overflow tube on a right-side carb. I took off the rack, replaced the float needle valve seat, float needle valve and adjusted the floats and made sure they worked freely. I also replaced the gaskets for good measure.

I had the carbs rebuilt about eight years ago. The bike has been well maintained, and I get good gas/stabilizer through the carbs every few weeks over winters. Besides my gas leakage, everything worked well before taking off the rack.

Here's my question:

Is it likely that the float needle valve/needle valve seat was the culprit? In your opinions, should I rebuild the carbs while I'm in there anyway?

As an amateur, I'm reluctant to fully rebuild the carbs. I have the parts and probably the skill, but I figure why mess with things if the float needle valve was the issue. I've cleaned things with carb spray as thoroughly as I can without fully disassembling.

Leave well enough alone or go all the way? All thoughts welcome.

I'll be putting on my brand new NOS gas tank I found on eBay, so I'm hoping to get it right the first time and get ridin' ASAP. Thanks guys and gals!

Does it run well? If so, why mess with it? If it ain't broke then don't fix it. Especially if they were rebuilt 8 weeks ago!

On the other hand, if you're like me, you'll take it apart and put it together, synch it etc., out of some wierd desire to know what's what.

Sounds like your fine now. The only reason to take them apart is if you like messin' around which is O.K. too.

Comment

Thanks, Mark. It was eight years, though, since I've rebuilt them - not weeks.

But I'm an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" guy. I guess the carbs are pretty easy to get off either way.

I appreciate the opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979GS550stl View Post
        I had the carbs rebuilt about eight years ago.
        I guess that is a little different from eight weeks. Hang around and maybe you'll get input from someone whose awake.

Comment

If the float isn't stuck and the valve is sealing properly now, that particular problem should be fixed. If it has otherwise been running fine I wouldn't worry about anything else. Throw some SeaFoam in the tank for good measure and RIDE! ;-)

Comment

They never need rebuilding....

unless they sit, or get full of rust, or water or something else gets into them. They can last forever if nothing bad ever happens.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

8 years is a really long time, a lot can happen in that time, o-rings can dry out, you can get a tank full of dirty gas, your tank can get moisture and rust putting particals in the tank... plus if you paid someone to rebuild them, i wouldn't trust their work, they may have took short cuts and not cleaned every little hole and so on. If i was you i would review the carb clean up series here on the site. then order a o ring kit, and take the carbs apart, poke every little hole with thin wire, and dip the carbs. If you clean them your self you will do the best job and take the time to make sure it is spotless.

Carbs aren't hard, just take your time and use the right tools, ie impact screwdriver, and never force anything.
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
              X