Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Magic Numbers

G'day all,

Well, I've been farting around with my GS1000ST's carbies for weeks now, trying to get them running right. In the meantime, the bike has had a top-end rebuild, so there should be no excuses for me getting the old girl running sweetly, right?

Huh. Try as I might, and following the excellent PDF article on tuning VM carbs here on the GSR, it just wasn't coming together for me. Between them, the pilot screw and the fuel screw on each carbie had me licked. How many turns out should they be? I'd tried my little heart out, but it still had me stumped.

UNTIL... until I finally got my mitts on an original you-beaut Suzuki manual for the GS1000 series. What a mine of info. it is... and then, flicking through the relevant section for my bike, what did I spy but the MAGIC NUMBERS:

Air screw ... 1 3/4
    Pilot screw ... 5/8

Now I understand why Archimedes (as legend has it) leapt out of the bath and ran down the street naked hollering "Eureka!" The reason is because he had given up on his Haynes or Clymer manual or whatever it was, with its pesky "PRESET" entries for the mystical screws, and he'd got himself a Suzuki manual.

So, I set the screws to the prescribed settings, and the difference is astounding. A bit of fine tuning, a carbie balance, and all should be well!

Cheers,
    Mike.

PS. If anyone would like the suggested air- or pilot-screw settings for other GS1000 models, let me know and I'll see if they're listed. It saves a lot of pain.

So your pilot screws under the carbs are 5/8 out? I guess it should be the same or close to my 750 since it shares the same carbs. I think mine are like 1 1/2 out. I think i will test it at 5/8. Theres a little notch near the screw, does it have to be relevant to that?

Comment

I'm pretty sure the settings are model specific... so the settings for the GS1000SN, for example, differ to the GS1000ST.

By all means give the settings a try, but I would be a bit surprised if they're correct for your GS750.

Re. the little notch at the perimeter of the air screws... OK, as I understand it, the quoted setting (eg. 1 3/4) is a 'nominal' setting, and then some fine tuning was done at the factory, and the notch then stamped on the carb. body at the perimeter of the screw head.

On my machine, the screw slots have all lined up fairly closely to the stamped notches. I might try turning each screw slightly until it lines up with its notch... but really I'm just so glad to be 'in the ball park' that I think I'll just leave them alone until boredom/ adventurousness takes over.

Comment

Originally posted by tfb View Post
        G'day all,

Try as I might, and following the excellent PDF article on tuning VM carbs here on the GSR, it just wasn't coming together for me. Between them, the pilot screw and the fuel screw on each carbie had me licked. How many turns out should they be? I'd tried my little heart out, but it still had me stumped...

[/I]
        Please advise whether yours are VM 26 or VM 28 carbs. And what year is the bike? I would have thought the "T" model would have been a 1980 model with CV carbs. Thanks

Tomcat

Comment

if they are the vm28's would you mind posting the info here

78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
            So your pilot screws under the carbs are 5/8 out? I guess it should be the same or close to my 750 since it shares the same carbs. I think mine are like 1 1/2 out. I think i will test it at 5/8. Theres a little notch near the screw, does it have to be relevant to that?

The optimum for my 79 750E was pilot fuel screw 3/4 to 7/8ths turn out and airscrew 1 3/4 turns out. I put about 40k miles on the bike with it set up that way before selling it.

Earl
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Good point, tomcat. Actually, they're VM30 carbies, not 26's or 28's.

And yes, I know that the GS1000ST's exported to America had CV carbs fitted as standard. Here in Australia, however both the '79 (SN) and the '80 (ST) came with VM carbies. The '79 had VM28's, and the '80 had the VM30's.

I have had such a pain of a time trying to get the pilot circuit set up properly for these carbies. Trying to do it with a tired top end probably didn't help either. So now with the fresh top end, and the MAGIC NUMBERS dropped into my lap by Suzuki's own manual for the GS1000, I'm in clover. :-D Of course there will be fine-tuning called for, but now we're 'in the ball-park' there is the smell of victory in the air.
              Last edited by Guest; 02-23-2007, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Well I have vm26's with pods and exhaust.I have 20 pilot jets and 115 main. I will test different positions with the pilot fuel screw once I get the bike back together. Im in the process of valve adjustments.

Comment

OK, I went through the manual systematically, and here are the settings for the various models it lists:

GS1000SN ('79) --- VM26SS-equipped models --- Air screw 1.0, Pilot 5/8
                  GS1000SN ('79) --- VM28SS-equipped models --- Air screw 1 1/4, Pilot 3/4

GS1000L ('79) --- VM26SS-equipped models --- Air screw 1.0, Pilot 5/8
                  GS1000L ('79) --- VM28SS-equipped models --- Air screw 1 1/4, Pilot 3/4

GS1000ET ('80) --- BS34SS (ie. CV carbs) --- Pilot 1 5/8

GS1000ST ('80) --- VM30SS (in Australia) --- Air screw 1 3/4, Pilot 5/8

GS1000GT/GLT ('80) --- BS34SS --- Pilot 1 5/8

GS1000GX/GLX ('81) --- BS34SS --- Pilot "PRESET" Ah yes, there you go, the dreaded "preset" word. But don't worry, in all other respects (jetting, float height, etc.) the carbie data for this model are the same as for the '80 GS1000GT/GLT (above), so setting the pilot at 1 5/8 will be the way to go.

*Naturally* these are just nominal settings, and assume that everything is stock-standard and that your engine is in good condition, clean air filter, etc. So that if you have pods, after-market exhaust system, bored-out engine and so on, you will need to fine-tune things to suit your setup.
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-23-2007, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Stock bikes generally have the pilot fuel screws set from 1/2 to as much as 1 1/4 turns out, but right about 3/4 is the most common. Differences in head/cylinders in each engine are why they are set over a certain range. It's common to find them set a bit differently from cylinder to cylinder. They assist the pilot jet through a secondary passage. They are for fine tuning the pilot circuit and are set at the factory using an emissions analyzer. That's why they warn that you can't set them exactly if you ever move them and lose track of their initial setting. You can get them close enough though with tinkering. The small nick on the carb body is stamped by the worker after they're set. The nick lines up with one side of the screw slot.
                    The side air screws should be adjusted to fit your specific riding conditions. Elevation, humidity, etc. You simply adjust them using the highest rpm method. As I've always posted, they generally end up right around 1 3/4 turns out on VM 26 and 28's, intake/exhaust mods or stock. Just like the pilot fuel screws, there's no exact setting. Just set them using the highest rpm method.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Keith, do you think one of those Colortune's would be good for setting the pilots? Have you ever used one? Or maybe good for setting the side air screws as well?
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I took my pilot fuels screws out today since Ive been cleaning up the carbs. I noticed, every one is bent and smeared on the tip. Seems as if someone tightened them in so tight that they bent and smeared.

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

You may need new ones.
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Thanks for that advice, Keith. Illuminating as usual!

The thing that had me stumped, was finding the settings which would get the bike running acceptably, and would then be a platform in the quest for better settings.

But, I just couldn't even get started. The good thing is that the manual gave me a place to start with my particular model and its particular type of carbies (and being one of the few, if not the only, markets in the world with VM-carbied ST's, I was getting nowhere fast).

On we slog.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                              The only ones I can find are a new carb kit on ebay. The guys wants $70 plus $4 to ship for all 4. I dont think I want to spend that much on 4 fuel screws. I think I will try to sharpen mine up for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X