How can a new reg/rec be bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can a new reg/rec be bad?

I bought a new r/r for the Goose, and now it is no good. How does that happen? This is the one I bought:

Does Ricks Motorsports Electrics have a reputation for faulty equipment? Has anybody been able to return a faulty r/r?

By the way, I did all the stator tests and every thing checks out with that. Whew!!!!

thatdood

I've heard of people ordering dud ones before. It's not unheard of.

Comment

Any new electronic part can be bad....

Or it was damaged in shipping, or perhaps someone a few years ago dropped it, or maybe you fried it when you installed it on your bike incorrectly. The rotten part is that most places won't take returns on electronic parts, because they can't tell if it was bad when it came from them or if the customer ruined it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well, I double and triple checked the installation, so I don't think I fried it with the install.

It's just kinda depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by thatdood View Post
          I bought a new r/r for the Goose, and now it is no good. How does that happen? This is the one I bought:

Does Ricks Motorsports Electrics have a reputation for faulty equipment? Has anybody been able to return a faulty r/r?

By the way, I did all the stator tests and every thing checks out with that. Whew!!!!

thatdood

Its rare, but it does happen. I bought an Electrex R/R direct from Electrex some years back and it was faulty. I phoned them, told them the situation and they asked me to return it, so they could check and verify it didnt meet specifications. It didnt and they (as agreed) replaced it no charge. I would call the seller and see what they will do. Frequently though, the seller is only a middleman and doesnt warranty anything, so you may (after speaking to them) be better off going back to the manufacturer.

Also, when you first installed the R/R was it not within specs in the first minute after installation, or was it OK then and not working sometime later after being used? If the fault occurred after some use, then likely the problem is in the wiring harness and is self inflicted.

Earl
          Last edited by earlfor; 02-23-2007, 11:46 PM.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            Also, when you first installed the R/R was it not within specs in the first minute after installation, or was it OK then and not working sometime later after being used? If the fault occurred after some use, then likely the problem is in the wiring harness and is self inflicted.

Earl
            Ahhh....

I didn't check the thing before I put it on, so there is really no way to know whether I fried it or it was fried when I got it. I need to make sure I do that next time.

Damn this learning lessons from mistakes!

Comment

I think he was asking if it worked when you initially put it on the bike, or if you never saw it work. If it worked for a little while, THEN died, the damage was probably done by you, the consumer, but if when you first put it on, it didnt work, then it was *probably* toast to begin with...

Comment

thatdood
                Did you check your stator output to correctly confirm your R/R was in fact faulty?

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
                  Did you check your stator output to correctly confirm your R/R was in fact faulty?
                  Yes, I checked the stator output last night. When I revved it to 5000, I got an output of approx. 80V for all three tests. Then I did all of the diode tests for the R/R, and they all showed it as faulty. I followed the Stator Papers to the best of my ability, and I'm pretty sure I did it right.

Oh well, whether or not I fried it or it was shot when I got it, I'll have to get another one, so I'll buy the ElectroSport. Either way, I'll just chalk it up to a hard lesson learned.

Comment

Yes, I checked the stator output last night. When I revved it to 5000, I got an output of approx. 80V for all three tests. Then I did all of the diode tests for the R/R, and they all showed it as faulty. I followed the Stator Papers to the best of my ability, and I'm pretty sure I did it right.

Oh well, whether or not I fried it or it was shot when I got it, I'll have to get another one, so I'll buy the ElectroSport. Either way, I'll just chalk it up to a hard lesson learned.
                    ???????? Why buy another when the Rick's R/R is guaranteed for a year??????? If you do that you're just wasting money. The Rick's R/R should be replaced with no questions asked. That's the whole point of buying a new R/R instead of a used one. The new ones are guaranteed to work.

Comment

Before spending any more money, I would send an email or make a phone call.
                      You can more than likely get it replaced for the price of shipping.

Earl
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                      X