Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bridge too far?

hi, im about to embark on a 240mile round trip on my 450

is there any precautions or advise you think i should need as this type of trip is unusual in the UK

The bike is running well with new tyres and battery charged and i plan to brk every 50 miles

Sorry this is sort of off topic, but why is this an unusual trip in the UK? Just curious.

As far as the bike goes, if it's running well I wouldn't worry about it. It must be safe for the road if you've been riding it and 240 miles isn't very far.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2007, 05:03 PM.

Comment

I was a Little Aprehensive Before My First Long Ride Last Year. As long as the Bike is in Good Shape and Running Well You should Have No Problem. My Trip Wound up Being 1100 Miles in 4 Days and the Bike Performed Better than I did!:-D Be sure to Keep an Eye on Your Chain and Various Nuts and Bolts Like those for the Shift Lever and Clutch Actuator. Enjoy the Ride!
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I'd do a quick once over of all your main bolts... (axle bolts on the forks, pear wheel axle, chainguard) All those pesky bolts that could be rattle loose...

Other than that, just ride...
        1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

2 cents

I often ride a bike between Kc and St. Louis. It is a 234 mile trip or so on a GS. First off. Don't worry so much about every 50 miles but do stop sometime in your first 100. Take a look aruond for loose bolts then. I have had brake caliper bolts fall out and the bolts holding the bag on my GK come loose and melt down part of the bag on the exhaust pipe. ( fyi, when the caliper bolt fell out it changed nothing. I only found it by a clunk when I used the brakes and the caliper moved a little)

IMHO a ride like this is VERY good for the bike as well as the biker. Things get cleaned out and you build confidence as to what the bike can do. After a couple 240 mile trips you will be up for 600 miles in a day rides without feeling pressure. BTW if your in the UK, bring rain gear. I guess I didn't need to tell you that.

Comment

Working...
          X