Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off topic

Hello all,

I have an issue that is not GS related but it may serve a purpose other then to help me. I fugured that I may as well try the wealth of knowledge on this site for my dilemma, and after all, there are several very inventive people that are members of this forum, so here goes.

I have to remove a large nut from a fan belt pulley and I cannot figure out how to keep the pulley from spinning while trying to loosen the nut, the pulley is about 12 inches in diameter. Space is limited due to a housing and I would rather not grab onto the pulley with vise grips to 'try' and hold it while attempting to loosen the nut. For your information it is on my snowblower ( it has GS in the model number.....) and it is supposed to snow a lot....soon.

Thanks in advance,

Scud

Use an impact wrench, air powered, one that spins real fast. The nut will come right off.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Impact wrench is a good idea. If no impact, would a wood wedge fit tight between the wheel and outer housing? Or have someone hold it while you put a box wrench on it and smack it fast like a "cheap" impact wrench? A piece of thin sheet rubber gives your hand/fingers extra gripping strength if you come up with something by yourself.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

With the belt installed, on all pulleys, use a little belt dressing to make the belt tacky, then squeez the belt together, close to the pully, to make belt contact as much of the pulley as possible, plus making the belt as tight as possible. Holding the belt should give leverage to help hold the pulley.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Use a strap wrench and a big ol' breaker bar to hold the pulley while you use another breaker bar and socket to bust the nut loose. Enlist a friend to the cause. Spray a penetrating oil like PB, Deep Creep or Kroil on the threads the night before.

Comment

if the nut is expendable:
            drill a small hole in the side of it, as deep as you can with out damaging the bolt, better 2 or as many as you can fit, in a line, perpendicular to the direction of rotation.
            incert pilot hole punch
            hit with hammer and split the nut

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies, I will try the impact wrench first, I do not have access to a pneumatic one but am thinking that I will use the one I have that you hit on the back with a hammer. If that does not not work I will go down the list.

I will let you all know how it works out and thanks again for all the great ideas!

Scud

Comment

I thought space was limited, how will you get an impact driver in there & swing a hammer? It takes quite a bit of space for a pneumatic or electric impact wrench. Guess space wasn't as limited as I was thinking. Good luck.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Maybe a pic would help?
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Keith, I tried my impact driver that I use to loosen screws on my bike and it did not work. I work at Grand Targhee Resort and know the vehicle maintenance fellows really well, I plan on taking the machine to the resort tomorrow and hopefully they will have the right impact wrench. I already loaded it into the back of my truck.

If that does not work a photo will follow.

Yea, access to the nut is relatively easy, the problem is trying to keep the pulley from spinning while loosening the nut. I was able to remove the blower housing and that made getting to the nut easy.

Thanks for all the input.

Scud

Comment

Hello all,

Well I took the snowblower to work and they indeed used a air impact driver and the nut did spin off in a millisecond.....

I broke my knuckles for nothing...... I also found the suspect part, a factory weld broke and the same guy who took off the nut welded it back together, and a helluva lot better then the factory weld ever could have been.

Saturday I will put it all back together and blow some snow!!

Thanks again for all your help.

Pray for Spring.....I am ready to ride my GS

Scud

Comment

last summer I did a timing belt in my buddy's Isuzu trooper. He kept asking me how I planned to get the power steering pully off because he ws never able to hold it tight enough.The third time he asked me I grabbed the butterfly air wrench, spun the nut off in a flash, and handed him the pulley. he looked astonished.
                        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I know your buddy's feeling now, I was amazed too. I mean that thing flew off before I knew what happened! I think I will have him put it back on also....

Comment

Working...
                          X