No announcement yet.

More help with the 81 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did everything you mentioned. The only question I have concerns measuring the float heights. I have significant (3-4mm) of play in my float between when it hits the tab and when it hits the needle. Which side of that play do I measure from? If I measure with the float hitting the needle I get one measurement and if I measure with the float hitting the tab I ge another measurement.

Here is another way to look at it. If I have the carbs right side up, the float touches the tab due to gravity and does not touch the needle. I get a large measurement to the gasket then. If the carbs are upside down (easier to access the floats since they are on top), The float rests on the needle and I get a smaller measurement to the gasket. Which do I use?

Also, where on the float do I measure to?

Finally, I found 2 of my air jets (as labled in the carb cleanup series) were not all the way screwed in. They are the jets on the air box side of the carb on the left of the intake. The cylinders were 1 and 2. How much of an effect would this have? Are they supposed to be all the way in?

Comment

Yes, they need to be seated.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Any help with the measuring for the float height??

Comment

If you have petcok problems, what about trying to ride in the pri position.
          Regards
          Otto

Comment

That is how I figured out that my bike had no top end...I was in "prime" and that i the only way the bike stays running right now. I rode it on the highway and it had nothing...I liken the acceleration to my 98 saturn! It topped out around 65-70 at WOT. My brother's 78 gs400 with 113000 miles on it makes my 81 gs550 with 50k on it look like it's standing still! All this was in the "prime" postition.

Comment

Comment

This is also about the angle it will be sitting when properly adjusted. Are the pins in the float needles moving freely?

Comment

You should set the float height with the carbs standing on end. Gravity can compress those springs to varying degrees and actually cause different fluid levels in each carb.

I still say it's the petcock.
                  You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                  If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                  1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                  1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                  1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                  1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                  1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Thanks for the pic! I'm going to remeasure probably tonight. I talked with my brother and finally figured out how the needle system works...sorry I'm still a newb when it comes to these carbs. I think I have some ideas now how to adjust the floats properly.

The new petcock will be here today or tomorrow...hopefully. I won't have time to get to riding the bike until Saturday. Hopefully the weather cooperates!

You guys are great. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                    X