master cylinder parts missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

master cylinder parts missing?

I have a 78 550 and the master cylinder is leaking fluid out of the reservoir pretty good. It's missing the gasket around the bottom of the reservoir, and there isn't really any gasket on the lid. Obviously this is why it's leaking, but looking at the exploded view at bike bandit, I'm seem to be missing a diaphragm and a plate that fit under the cap. Have I been skirting death by running without them for the past year? Are they partially built into the cap and I just haven't noticed them? Should I order both anyway?

Thanks for helping a newb out

The M/C will work with or without the lid. The lid just keeps the fluid in the reservoir. I would get them if they are not in the cap. I assume you have the twisty top?
    As for the bottom o-ring......................
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

yes, its a twisty top. I pretty much figured that was the answer... Thanks for the confirmation. The experience taught me about the destructive qualities of brake fluid anyway....

Comment

Do you have any paint left on your triple trees? Mine to this day look like sh*t.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

triple tree...heck the darn thing messed my tank when I had a leaky resevour. Isnt it sickening how the resevour is over the tank when she's on her kick stand also messed the chrome on a yamaha I had.

Comment

ya, the triple tree's got sort of a mottled look, the paint on the master cylinder itself is very sad. It does suck that any drips land right on the tank when she's sitting on the kick stand, but the clearcoat on my tank is already damaged from years of spilled gas, so the brake fluid just gives her more character. What I really don't like is watching the wind whip it around and all over my gloves when I'm clipping down the highway or cranking through twisties. Ahh lessons learned...

Comment

Working...
            X