camchain timing markscan you tell me where

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

camchain timing markscan you tell me where

can you tell me where i can find a diagram of camshaft timing marks as there is marks on the cam but they dont look as if they match up to anything else its a gs 750 16 valve

on the 16 valve 1100's, There are 2 arrows on the ex. cam. 1 points straight toward the gasket surface toward the front, must be exactly level with the gasket surface, the 2nd arrow will be pointing straight up. The arrow on the in. cam will also point straight up, & if my memory serves me right, there should be 20 chain link pins, not links but pins, between the straight straight up arrow on the ex. cam & the straight up arrow on the in. cam. When counting the pins, the pin straight up from one arrow is 1, and the pin straight up from the other arrow is 20. Gee I hope 20 is the right #, I haven't done this in about 18 yr. Sorry, don't know where to look it up, but in a service or repair manual. Wouldn't attempt this without a manual
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

will give it a go tomorrow cheers

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        on the 16 valve 1100's, There are 2 arrows on the ex. cam. 1 points straight toward the gasket surface toward the front, must be exactly level with the gasket surface, the 2nd arrow will be pointing straight up. The arrow on the in. cam will also point straight up, & if my memory serves me right, there should be 20 chain link pins, not links but pins, between the straight straight up arrow on the ex. cam & the straight up arrow on the in. cam. When counting the pins, the pin straight up from one arrow is 1, and the pin straight up from the other arrow is 20. Gee I hope 20 is the right #, I haven't done this in about 18 yr. Sorry, don't know where to look it up, but in a service or repair manual. Wouldn't attempt this without a manual
        You have a good memory, that's exactly how I remember doing it last as well.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Under the ignition crankcase cover you also need to first line the crank trigger up with the 1-4 cylinders (left). Behind the ignition plate you will then line the T with the arrow. This will be top dead center. Very important to have the crank trigger facing left or you will be 180 degrees off. Then install your cams as stated before.
          Install your cam chain tensioner and recheck said timing marks after rotating the engine at least a full turn.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X