noise shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noise shifter

today while i was riding on my street i heard a noise when downshifting to first ..
    after the noise my throttle was really jerky .. while i was eccelerating smoothly the bike was not .. when i got home i sat in the driveway
    and shut it off then started it back up .. the bike was making funny loud clancks when putting it in first just sitting ! when i tried to move the bike sounded different and stalled ..
    any way .. i looked at the throttle cable, where you can adjust it between the engine and carbs, and the bottom bolt was off the tread and sitting around the inner cable so i threaded it back up
    any way after that it was riding perfectly again..... WHICH BRINGS ME TO MY QUESTION ... why the loud clancking when shifting into first ?
    it's gone now but is that related to the trottle ? or am i missing some other problem that might come back ?

My thought is that this effectively tightened the cable & your tickover was up a few hundred revs. They all seem to make more noise when you engage 1st at a standstill at higher revs.

I could be wrong though...

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

thanks although

thanks for the thought
      the noise was occuring before i tightened the thread ?

Comment

any other thoughts ?

any one else have a diagnosis ?

Comment

The cable would be tighter with the bolt loose if I understand correctly. This would increase idle rpm.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Gremlins........................
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X