Wheel bearing choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel bearing choice?

When I go to buy a new single deep grove ball bearing for my GSXR wheels, I find there are different types of sealing – both side no seal, only one side seal or both side seal, and the sealing could be a metal cage sealing or rubber-seal sealing.
    What type of sealing to the bearing should I use? Addy

I notice that too about a year ago when I replaced a bearing. On the brake side the bearing had just one rubber seal on the outside and nothing on the inside and the bearing on the sprocket side just had a metal cover on both sides.

I guess they think your going to pack alot of grease in the hole before you install the axle??? I think the bearings had different part # too. I just used what the parts guy found on his fich.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

seals?

Fully sealed should be the go as it stops most stuff getting in. If you change ure mind later you can pop the rubber seal of the side you want. On most Suzuki sprocket carriers the large bearing is exposed on the inside and cant see why as all the dust and grit will get in.

Comment

Seals

OEM's are usually sealed on one side as it is a price point decision(cheaper) Go with two sided rubber seal for the front and metal side seals for the rear drive side and rubber for the opposing side. You can use a grease needle on the bearings to make sure there is enough lube in them if you choose. Cheap insurance as it keeps grit and water out of the bearings unlike the original ones.

Comment

Let's save 11 cents!!!

I ran into the same thing restoring/rebuilding alternators for older cars. The numbnuts at the factory originally speced open backed bearings for the drive pulley side. Anyone that periodically washes their engine would get soap and water directly in the bearing. When I started replacing them with double rubber sealed versions, they never failed again!

Bruce

Comment

Working...
          X