1983 GS 1100 E Starter Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS 1100 E Starter Problems

How does the starter clutch come off I pulled the main nut then hit it with a puller and it wont give Help?

The starter clutch is behind the flywheel/rotor, so it must come off before you can do anything else.

The only way I know of to remove the rotor without damaging it is by using a puller, which you appear to have.

Perhaps the simplest method of dealing it would by tightening the puller bolt very firmly, then tapping the same bolt with a hammer, preferably one of 1 and 1/2 pounds or more, not a lightweight one.

You should not hit it hard, but hit it repeatedly, allowing a second or two between hits. Using a heavier hammer just means the impact will focus on the bolt, whereas a light hammer may bounce, and not induce enough vibration to do much.

You will probably have to give the bolt an extra half turn or so as it begins to work, and then it should pop right off.
    This can cause enough vibration to indice the rotor to come loose.
    Last edited by argonsagas; 03-01-2007, 05:10 PM.
    "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
    Winston Churchill

Comment

So the stator rotor just pulls off....Its stuck and I'm afraid I've destroyed it but it wont give...Are we sure it doesnt screw off or something?[-o<

Comment

YOU MUST USE THE CORRECT PULLER, a jaw type puller will ruin the rotor..

Comment

The puller will screw on the threads right behind the nut you just removed. Then all you do is tighting the bolt on the end of the puller while using a wrench to hold the puller still.

The pullers are round with threads inside and have a bolt threaded on the end.

The puller should look like one of these,

Last edited by RacingJake; 03-02-2007, 10:41 AM.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

puller bolt

the center bolt on the top triple tree is the correct diameter and thread pitch to remove the rotor.

18mm X 1.5mm if you don't like the length get a longer bolt or use a bearing or piece of steel as a inner shim to do the pushing

tension it up and use shock(hammer) and/or heat on the center part of the rotor
            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
            X