Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SEAFOAM - You used it ?? - fill me in ---- How much smoke did you get ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEAFOAM - You used it ?? - fill me in ---- How much smoke did you get ???

Ok men - I went today and picked up some of this stuff. :-D

I did not pour it in the carbs like it says you can - since I figured that would be a pain in the butt with having to take the line off the petcock and gt a funnel and all - So I went the pour it in the tank route.

Now:
    Directions say - 1 oz. per gallon.
    I did the conversion on the internet and
    5 oz. is 150 ML
    SO------------------>
    I put 150 ML in the tank (actually closer to 175 ML)

I road it around, got it all mixed up and notice that it is smoking some.
    I have never seen that before.

I guess that means I need to run the gas out and get all of the gas/seafoam concoxtion out of the tank - (That sound right????? )

What has been your experiences with this stuff ????????

Have'nt used it myself, but I understand it will always cause some smoke....much more so if you use it directly in the carbs...check this clip out .

Tony.
    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Man that is pretty dang close to what I have coming out of the pipes.

It was crazy smoky like that in the beginning - but not too bad at all right now. (some but not a lot)

It is WHITE just like that.

I guess I probably put a little too much in the gas.

I will just run it out in the next few days or so. :-D

Comment

Never used it on a bike, but I used it on my Miata.
        I used a vacumn line directly into the intake, just stuck the line in the can while the car was running....

Holy geez...it was like a mosquito fogger....thick white smoke....
        It sucked up the recommended amount in no time, but smoked for quit a while.
        Even after running it for 15-20 minutes the smoke continued....
        Finally took it out on the road for a good 20 minute drive before it finally settled down...

Did it help? I think it ran a little better, a little smoother...

Bob T.
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

love the stuff

I've used seafoam in every old bike i've resurrected. The stuff works wonders. Usually i'll clean up the carbs, pop 'em back in, and run a tank of fuel/seafoam through to get the stuff i missed (tank, fuel line, petcock, etc).
          You will see smoke. Probably lots of it if you go over the recommended mixture ratio (won't hurt anything).
          Last fall i gave it a shot as a fuel stabilizer (long off season here in Minnesota). I won't know how well that worked out for another month or so. I'll keep ya posted on that.

cheers
          k

Comment

I always put way over the suggested "dose" in my tank and have never really noticed much smoke. You'll definitely get smoke if you suck it into a vacuum port, as noted.

Comment

I put in half a can in the gas and did not smoke at all but my carbs look brand new and the bike runs a lot better.I also use it for storage and put about 1 ounce per gallon in every other tank.Google seafoam and see what you come up with.

Comment

Great stuff

Don't forget to try there DEEPCREEP, sea foam in a spray can!Sea foam works great as a motor flush also! Before I tear down any motor I always run the stuff as a motorflush........it makes clean up so easy!
                Just my 2cents worth

Kevin

Comment

has anyone used it the crankcase? The can says 1 1/2 oz per quart.(seems like a lot) Will it cause any problems with the immersed clutch?
                  I'm changing oil tomorrow, and debating on putting it in.

Comment

In a auto I would run it like they say, not on a bike because of the wet clutch, but I have no problem running it as a flush before you change your oil. Put it in and run it for about 10 minutes working the clutch lever in and out to clean off sludge off the plates , then drain crank case for a long time and then replace filter and oil and your set, I do this on every 3rd oil change on all the bikes and every time on the car's and trucks I service.
                    just my 2cents worth.
                    Kevin

Comment

I put some in the oil the other day and no clutch slippage so far. Haven't ridden far yet though.

Comment

I have used seafoam in my jeeps crankcase and it cleaned it out so well that there was no longer any carbon around the rings and they did not seal any longer

Comment

The smoke you see is from the oil base in the seafoam and the carbon thats burning off.
                          09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
                          83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
                          81 GS650G for the wife.
                          82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
                          I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
                          If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
                          Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

This is an old trick. Mopar has the same stuff for auto engines and Im sure its the same stuff. They call it combustion Chamber cleaner. $8 an aeresol can at the dealership. I use it on all my vehicles. Bike too.
                            In the dealerships, its a first try for a stumbling or poor idle motor. loosens stuck rings also.
                            The overlap on the cams (especially roller cams) creates whats called reversion. Reversion is where you get exhaust coming back into the intake on decel.
                            This reversion coats the backs of the valves and intake tract.

Chrysler has a procedure and Ive found that it makes any motor run as new again if done correctly.

Warm motor. spray into carbs venturi's equally until the motor chokes. Carefully.You dont want to hydrolock the motor. Turn off the motor. Fill the carb or TB with the stuf till it foams over and kick the motor over letting it be sucked into the chambers and intake thickly and slowly. Fill the carbs or TB again and use a old tooth brush to clean the inside of the carb throat butterflys and IAC passages. Go play with something else for 15 minutes.

Come back and start the motor. It wont want to at first but after a few good spins it will sputter and start.
                            Any motor with over 10 thousand miles will kill every mosquito in the immediate area. Dont breath this.

You then keep the motor running while spraying carb clean down the intake for a moment. This helps knock off chunkies. They arent hard anymore.

It should smoke for about 15 minutes and you should go out on the hiway and get into it a bit to help expell all the crud.

In the end It'll run like new and on tear down its near spotless inside. Everyone should do this to their car motors every 30k miles as maintenance.
                            Nowadays with balanced motors, The main reason for hi milage motors to die is a chunk of carbon comes off the EGR or the back of a valve, sticks a valve open and CRUNCH. the end.
                            Well, that and broken valve springs.

Yeh Seafoam..er..Combustion chamber cleaner!

Comment

Man I am a SEAFOAM FAN.....

Comment

Working...
                              X