How To Time Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Time Question

I have a thread here about replacing head gaskets,but it is back several pages and i dont think anyone else is going to post on it any more.My question is this...Once you put the cams back on,the clymer manual shows the cam sprocket has some marks on it and some timing mark shows thru a window you get lined up with arrows on the sprocket.it also suggests taking the inspection cover off to make the marks more visible.So,you get the correct pistons at top dead center by rotating the crankshaft with a wrench,you get these marks lined up.Then what? bolt down the cam bearing covers before it turns?Becaus next you have to time the intak cam to different marks.What keeps the exhaust cam from moving off its mark?Is the cam going to be in time once you position it even when you start rotating the other cam? then once you put the chain on with 20 pins at the top you tighten everything down? thanks for any input here.This tining thing is the only part that worries me.I would hate to get it 180 off and have to redo everthing over.Ron
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Ive done this a couple times in the past year. Heres how I did it.

ignition pickup indicator on TDC 1-4. I also have a mark TDC 2-3. Thats not the one. TDC 1-4.

I set the exhaust cam in with its mark straight up as its supposed to be and made sure the chain was tight to the crank in the front. All the chain slack on the intake side. so now the mark is on TDC 1-4 and the exhaust cam is in place with its mark straight up.
    Then I set the intake cam in with its 20 pins aligned from the exhaust mark as such and tightened its caps down.

Then I tightened the tensioner to pull out all the slack.

Then I turned the motor over 6 full revolutions bringing it back to TDC-1-4 and checked to make sure that the cam marks fell as they were supposed to. 6 times is overkill but if there was a hidden kink in the chain keeping the alignment off, 6 revolutions will be sure to let you know.
    Then I adjusted the tensioner as needed. Finished.

I know Its scary to start it after your done if you arent sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McNaney View Post
      Ive done this a couple times in the past year. Heres how I did it.

ignition pickup indicator on TDC 1-4. I also have a mark TDC 2-3. Thats not the one. TDC 1-4.

I set the exhaust cam in with its mark straight up as its supposed to be and made sure the chain was tight to the crank in the front. All the chain slack on the intake side. so now the mark is on TDC 1-4 and the exhaust cam is in place with its mark straight up.
      Then I set the intake cam in with its 20 pins aligned from the exhaust mark as such and tightened its caps down.

Then I tightened the tensioner to pull out all the slack.

Then I turned the motor over 6 full revolutions bringing it back to TDC-1-4 and checked to make sure that the cam marks fell as they were supposed to. 6 times is overkill but if there was a hidden kink in the chain keeping the alignment off, 6 revolutions will be sure to let you know.
      Then I adjusted the tensioner as needed. Finished.

I know Its scary to start it after your done if you arent sure.
      MAN YOU ARE AWESOME!!!! THANKS VERY MUCH!
      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Ahw schucks No problem.

Comment

Awh shucks, Mike, are you from near Norene TN?
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

That was my Disney Goofy impression. fooled ya didnt it.
            Im near Seattle

Comment

On the exhaust cam there are two arrows. They are marked "1" and "2".
              Number 1 should be pointed at the gasket surface of the head while number 2 should be pretty close to pointing staight up.
              Make sure the crank trigger is facing the 1&4 side of the ignition. Left when facing the ignition with the "T" lined up to the mark.
              With the exhaust cam in the right position and without moving the crankshaft pull the cam chain up over the ehaust cam sprocket.
              Count the chain link pins including the one above the number 2 arrow with the number 20 pin being directly over the only arrow on the intake cam sprocket.
              You should have your cam chain tensioner "cocked" and ready to go. Install the tensioner and release the lock screw a quarter turn to release the tensioner piston. Don't forget to lock the tensioner screw with the outer nut.
              Then do what Mike said and rotate the camshaft several revolutions and recheck the timing marks.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

THANKS CHEF.sAY,DID YOU KNOW YOU LOOK JUST LIKE cLINT eASTWOOD?

Comment

Thanks! I'd put a pic of me but it might scare ya off. Even w/out the six guns:-D
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                  X