Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with ?electrical gremlins

Hi,

I have a pretty much mint 1985 gs700es that I bought new. This fall it suddenly stopped idling. I originally though it was the gas as I didn't ride it much last year, but fresh gas didn't help. I've already pulled and cleaned the carbs...no joy. It will run over 3K, but anything lower, it will stall. Also, it is running like crap over 3K, spitting and backfiring.

where to start?

Thanks,

Keith

Define "cleaned the carbs". Did you strip em down and really go through them ? Took me 4 times on a little honda last summer.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Get a gallon of carb dip, available at most auto parts stores, and follow the carb rebuild series found on the homepage.

Also, make sure you're intake boots, carbs to engine, are okay. Typically spraying WD-40 on them as the bike idles is a good indicator of any leaks.

Brad bt

Comment

Check your battery and clean all grounds.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

By clean the carbs, I mean pull them, drop the bowls, check all jets, etc. I did not soak them though. The bowls were perfectly clean (no sludge, deposits) and again, a month earlier the bike ran fine. The reason I suspect electrical is that on a couple of occasions at idle (when it would idle), my headlight would dim, then get bright. Only happened a couple of times though. I will check the grounds. The bike has 24K on it an has always run well. Are there certain grounds to check besides the obvious battery cable?

Comment

See stator papers.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X