12mm adapter for compression tester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12mm adapter for compression tester

I know this has been discussed but couldn't find the answer to this question. I have a compression tester and need a 12mm-to-14mm adapter. Does anyone know where I can buy one locally? I've found them on the internet but, of course, shipping prices make it a bad deal. Thanks for any advice!:-D
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

I was able to find one at a NAPA auto outlet up here in BC, Canada. It dedn't come all that easy as I had to go to a few places to find. A good tool or auto parts outlet should have one for you.

Comment

Why not modify a spark plug and weld a quick disconnect to the top.

Comment

Originally posted by rosco15 View Post
        Why not modify a spark plug and weld a quick disconnect to the top.
        Did this last year and it works fine.

Comment

Wow, I did a double take when I saw the title of this thread. Thought I might had started it, and forgot. I've been looking in all the shops for a few weeks for one of these. Closest I've gotten was a brass two adapter set at a local Suzuki dealer for $20. Guess I'll look for a while longer.

Comment

Gut a sparkplug like rosco said. I have made adapters all the way down to the peanut plugs in the 'Busa doing this. I've even tapped the metal hex area and used hardware store brass fittings to adapt my gage

Comment

I would check Harbor Freight

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                I would check Harbor Freight
                I checked my local one without any luck.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. The ones I found on the internet were about 5$ and about $7 freight so that's not a good option (that's more than the tester cost). I'm thinking I may be able to find one at a hydraulic shop since they sell all kinds of hose fittings. Since I see there is interest, I'll let you know how I make out!

Comment

Welcome home Chucky. You gonna be around in July? You missed last year's rally. We'd like to see you make this one!

Comment

Thanks

Thank you, Tom, you're nice to remember me. I'd love to make the run if I'm able. I'm going to be out of the country again sometime in either June or July but I still don't know the exact dates. If I can go, I will. It would be great to meet you guys!!:-D

Comment

Look at the end of this link...

it little bit of info on making your own (as mentioned before) from a sparkplug.

Comment

Good

Good information....thanks! By the way, what's the point of "grounding the plug wires" and how do you do it??

Comment

Grounding the plug wires during compression testing:
                            a) The coils produce very high voltages in order to produce a spark across the plug's electrodes. These voltages can get excessive if the coils try to deliver energy into an infinite load (open circuit). In such an open circuit case, the voltage spike can exceed the safe insulation rating of the coils and can cause permanent shorts within the coil windings, severely diminishing their capability or rendering them useless.
                            Shorting the Plug Wires to ground creates a low impedance path for the current to flow safely. BTW the coils do in fact see a very low impedance path to ground when the air at the plug's gap ionizes during firing.

b) If the plug wires are left open circuited, there are instances when an uncontrolled spark may flash to ground from the plug wires. If this happens when there is fuel-charged air escaping through the plug-holes during the compression check, ignition of the gas may ensue and a fire may be inadvertantly started.

Comment

Oh! ....to accomplish the grounding simply run a short piece of wire from up inside the plug caps to a convenient bolt on the bike's frame or engine (not on the carburetor please).

Comment

Working...
                              X