rich all 4.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rich all 4.

I have a 1981 gs750l with the air screws on top near air filter. which way do I turn them for rich or lean? all four are running rich with smoke. I've been battling this bike with issues since I got it. I replaced the petcock. adjusted the valves. adjust tooth timing. rebuilt carbs. checked for leaks replaced exhaust gaskets. among other.

out makes it richer in makes it leaner. It may be a problem bigger than just turning a screw :-D. You may need to do some serious jetting.

Comment

I was wrong about location of screws. Been awhile since I messed with this prob. I'm pretty sure that they weren't all running rich before the carb rebuild. should I do another sync with them at 1.5 out. what comes first?
      Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2007, 08:45 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure of the exact #, but I believe that 1 and a half to 2 turns out from all the way in is normal for a stock air box and exhaust. Once you get this setting figured, you should use a manometer to synch the carbs.

Brad bt

Comment

thanks. I'll try better.

Comment

fine tuning the air screws wouldn't throw the sync off after?

Comment

Originally posted by i57chevy View Post
              fine tuning the air screws wouldn't throw the sync off after?
              I don't know for sure, but after a carb rebuild it is necessary. If you've already synched them, it couldn't hurt to check after adjusting the air screws.

Brad bt

Comment

I was just syncing today adjusting the mixture screw wont change sync unless your really far off. If you just moving it < (less than) 1 turn you should be fine

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
                  I was just syncing today adjusting the mixture screw wont change sync unless your really far off. If you just moving it < (less than) 1 turn you should be fine
                  That was kind of my thought, but with his situation it might be advisable. Besides, it's a fairly quick process IMO. VM carbs, on the other hand...

Brad bt

Comment

thanks for all the help. after I moved them to 1 and half. I ran it in the yard for a few cut it off at idle and checked one plug. It was obviously still sooty, but it looked like it was trying to tan up a bit. I quit cause it was getting dark.

Comment

Working...
                    X