Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS550L grab bag of questions, with pics this time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550L grab bag of questions, with pics this time!

Hiya chaps.

Been fiddling with the bike today. Those of you who helped me out with patching up the exhaust will be pleased to hear that the temporary repair I've made looks good.

After doing the repair, I rode the bike to the shops and back and then retightened the clips whilst they were hot. Hopefully that will slow the effect of repeated heating and cooling on the effficiency of the seal. I'll keep an eye on the screws and see how they do.

Next job on my immediate list is the seat. Here are a couple of images showing the start of problems with the leather.

Not quite as clear as I'd hoped. The crux of it is that the splits are along the seams - no tears in the panels, which is nice. What do people suggest I do about it? My sewing experience is limited to clothing and the occasional rivet in cloth.

Next up, what's the deposit all over my cooling fins (and lots of other surfaces)? It comes off easy and doesn't seem to be affecting the metal. My guess is it's left behind when the dirty water dries.

This thread pauses here to stick within the four image rule per post...

I did try to edit the thread to make it really clear in the thread title that this is a pic heavy thread, but I can't seem to edit the thread title. Perhaps some kindly moderator could do that for me, please?
    Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2007, 01:04 PM. Reason: WARNING - PIC HEAVY

Many thanks for those still with me. If it's any consolation, I intend to become a member of the SOC here in the UK as soon as I scrape together enough to pay this year's BPA (British Parachuting Assoc.) membership - the annual membership has jumped about 50% in a single year. Low inflation economy is it, chancellor, you big liar?

Last one for now; there's a mystery tube that looks like some kind of overflow pipe. I have my suspicions as to what it is, but maybe someone here can confirm the.

Here's the top;

And here's the bottom:

THe bottom is the red circle - sorry. The tube to the right of the red cirlce, I've just discovered, is just a tube that doesn't connect at either end to anything. Which is a hell of a thing to find on your bike. My apologies for lack of clarity - online java based picture editing that I'm clearly not very good at yet.

Just one more little one. Easy, this one. The bike idles with no choke at 2.5 to 3k, which seems a little high. Is this the idle adjusting screw, do you think?

Many thanks for any replies I get. I appreciate that I'm asking a lot - I'm very much learning as I go and I'm now down to only one serious concern, which unfortunately looks like a slow oil leak through a poorly done engine seal.

ReedSupport

P.S. First decent weekend for a ride this year, and it was so good to get out there, even if it was just a round trip to the shop for some milk.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2007, 01:20 PM. Reason: Correct image description

Comment

As to the seat: Not sure. I just had mine recovered since it was in pretty bad shape and I know an upholsterer on a first name basis.

I believe the tube you are referencing is a drain tube for the airbox. Yes, that is indeed the idle adjustment screw.

Comment

The #5 and #6 photo is the drain hose for the airbox, for excess blow by from the crank case and any oil that climbs the timing chain on the higher RPM's. The #7 photo is the adjuster knob for the idle setting. The white powder like substance on the colling fins and the case covers, is oxidation (rust) and can be cleand off with some metal cleaner and elbow grease. :-D

Comment

Working...
        X