Yes another carb issue :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes another carb issue :(

Ok guys I am in need of your wisdom. I have a 1982 GS750T, it has a Kerker 4-1 header, K&N airfilter,Accel plug wires, Dyna S ignition, and Dyna coils. Bike is factory besides those upgrades. It was running great when I parked it. I took it to a local shop just to have them make sure she was ready for spring, change oil, adjust the chain and lube it, change tires and just check it over. Then I decided to call and have them clean the carbs (even though it hasnt been a real long time since it was done) So the shop calls and told me to come pick it up. When I got there they told me they had to remove the air filter to make the bike run After firing the bike up it didnt sound right, they then told me they didnt know anything else to do to make it run with the filter installed:shock: Ok so its running like crap, sputtering at idle and acel, when you open the throttle up it kicks in and runs great. So last night I hit the garage and started it, installed the air filter into the airbox, it ran, and ran better than when I rode it home. So I threw a new set of spark plugs in it and started it up. Still ran like crap, then I started pulling plug wires. It died when I removed #3 and then tryed it on #4, died again. Switched sides and pulled #1...nothing happened, pulled #2...once again nothing happened, bike ran the same, put old plugs into the plug wires and #1 and #2 fire like crazy. (old plugs from these 2 cylinders were white and dry btw) So this leads me to believe that carb 1 and 2 arent getting fuel until you open the throttle up and then they kick in. Now my question is what could be my issue and how to I fix this problem. And no I'm not taking back to this overpriced undertalented shop. Thx for any help or advice.

Charge your battery and sync your carbs.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I hope you didn't get hosed by a young wrench jockey! A carb cleaning is not the same as a rebuild. A rebuild would've run you at least $400. Odds are the mechanic sprayed some carb cleaner into the carbs while it was running and maybe pulled the float bowls and cleaned them out. I'd opt for a rebuild and sync of the carbs. If you can, DIY, DO IT YOURSELF! The age of our bikes is a bit beyond the ability of the younger mechanics that work in most dealerships. If you can't DIY, then find a shop that is not affiliated with a brand.

Brad bt

Comment

yea I am confident I can do it, just need to get some tools together and start reading up on the subject. So carb syncing we shall go then\\/ thx guys

Comment

Well I've not made it to pull the carbs off today, but I spoke to a friend who told me he had the same issues with an older bike he had. he told me the idle jet was clogged on his and it made it run the same way. Sounds easier to fix than trying to sync the carbs so I'll start there tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
          X