Help Wont Turn Over Only Clicks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Wont Turn Over Only Clicks.

I have recently got a 1980 gs 850 gl, from my father who just passed in 06, well this bike was his pride, but since he had been sick it was on the back burner.. Well i got the bike now and tryin to figure it out.. I already replaced the Battery, solinoid, and the starter . When I go to turn the bike over I only hear it click one time.. nothing else.. the starter is getting power.. and its new. the battery volts are good.. im at a loss for this thing. The click is coming from the solinoid area sounds like.. and ideas would be greatly appreaciated. also if i cant get this resolved shortly im going to either part it out or sell it.. its in excellent shape.... please email me at my email addy, due to I wont be on this website very much.. I can check my emails from work but not the website..
    thanks.
    steve
    jpartlow@cfl.rr.com

Check electrical connections....

battery leads, solenoid, starter, all of them, the complete circuit.
    Clean and tight.
    And when you get rid of the bike, send it to me.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

to be honest with ya im about tired of messing with it.. make an offer..
      also if u want some pictures ill send you some.

Comment

Where is it?

Location is important.

Comment

Can you turn the engine over with a wrench? It could be hydrolocked

Are you sure the starter is getting electricity?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Ya it turns over fine with a wrench.. also im in florida. merritt island,florida

Comment

and ya it is gettin electricity..
              ive even hooked cables straight to the starter..

Comment

The starter has brushes that engage the armature to provide the starting current. The brushes can stick in their holders and not fully extend to the armature. If this happens and everthing else is OK, you will hear the dreaded click as the solenoid engages with no starter action.

One troubleshooting test that sometimes works to free (at least temporarily) the brushes without disassembly:

If you have a starter lockout on your clutch cable, tie the clutch lever back to the handlegrip. If you have a removable starter cover like mine, take it off to expose the starter. Make sure that all connections are tight and free of corrosion. Turn the ignition on. With the right hand, press the starter button and hold it down past the click. With the starter button depressed, with the left hand use something like a small ball pein hammer to lightly tap the starter. If the brushes are sticking, sometimes this will free them and the starter will spin normally. It's worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks View Post
                  With the starter button depressed, with the left hand use something like a small ball pein hammer to lightly tap the starter. If the brushes are sticking, sometimes this will free them and the starter will spin normally.
                  It works, I had to start an airplane engine all month like that.
                  It usually worked.

Comment

the starter is new, along with the silonoid..

Comment

Originally posted by 1980 gs850 View Post
                      the starter is new, along with the silonoid..
                      If the "new" starter had been sitting on a shelf for 27 years, it's still possible that there could be stiction in the brush holder from corrosion (oxidation) or congealed lubrication over that period. Brushes are a moving part, and when something hasn't moved for a very long time stiction may tend to reduce normal movement. I still think my suggestion is worth a try.

Comment

Ground wires. Ground your new solenoid to the battery ground, same with the starter, if need be. Make sure all your ground wires and connecting points are clean and shiny. It'll work then. Ask me how I know????

Comment

so you can turn over the engine by rolling it in gear? just a thought, otherwise I got little for ya...

hate to see a nice machine parted, I bet someone around here would buy it...

Comment

I got some pics of it last night if anyone wants to see it..

Comment

4 sale gs850gl

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...ckgs850004.jpg,

Comment

Working...
                              X