Gasket set question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasket set question

Hey guys I have a quick question for you before I find this out the hard way.

I have an 82 GS750e that I'm about to replace gaskets on. The bike came with a NOS valve cover gasket but I needed the rest. I found this auction online and bought it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120097070295

The auction states GS750 80+ so I bought it. I just got it and the label says GSX750. (Not sure if thats an issue). Anyways, my reason for concern was lining up the supplied valve cover gasket with the NOS one I already had. They are virtually identical except for the edges. I can deal with using my NOS valve cover gasket, but I'd hate to tear this apart and find that the head gasket was wrong. Below is a photo of the gasket in the kit I just bought followed by the same gasket layed over the NOS gasket I have.

That is hardly a minor problem, as the bolt holes aren't even close. Look at your cam cover and see which gasket has the holes in the right place. If the one you just bought matches, it would be a fairly safe bet that the head gasket will too. If the one you have hanging around matches, don't use the new set.

Comment

The NOS gasket is the correct one but with my experience in cars, I've seen gaskets that may apply to various motors. Meaning, I can see the valve cover gasket being off and head and base gaskets working, etc. I'm just not certain if anything is universal with these engines. If I can figure out what motor this gasket is intended for I could call up Suzuki and cross reference head gasket part numbers..

Comment

Anyone know the differences are between a GS750 and a GS750e? I need to find out if head gaskets are interchangeable

Comment

Is your bike 16V? If not, therein lies the problem. According to this, yours is probably an 8V. If your bike is 16V, then the auction was misleading (if it is the wrong kit), because a GS750 is NOT a GSX750. Either way, the auction is misleading because the GS750 is an 8V while the GSX750 is 16V. As wizard says, check the bolt pattern on the valve cover itself to see which one is correct. Then take appropriate action.

Comment

Not sure if the 16 valve 750 models are the same as the 1100 in respect to changes in the the rocker covers in 1982.
            Early 1100 rocker cover gaskets were the same as the one pictured , they were modified along with the heads to prevent oil leaks from around the cam chain tunnel (post 1982 they look the same as the original pictured).
            However,the rest of the gaskets from the head down over were unmodified.

Comment

I have a spare valve cover gasket for a 16v 750. Yours for a very modest amount plus shipping. PM me.

Comment

My valve cover gasket is the style in the bag (with the red circles indicating actual bolt holes), not the one I have puctured by itself. My hopes are that the only thing changed is that valve cover.

It's a GS750EZ and is a TSCC bike, which I'm pretty sure is 4 valves per cylinder. I'll tear it apart this weekend and hope for the best.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2007, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Amazingly enough the head gasket is a match! Looks much beefier than stock. I've swapped heads on my 03 Civic a few times and that experience alone was enough to make this a breeze. Unfortunately, one of the bolts on the clamps holding the cam down snapped and it's in the head. Ugh... might be better to drop this off at a machine shop to get fixed. I fugure I might as well replace the base gasket while I'm here too. Everything looks good so far otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                  X