Did I over loc-tite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I over loc-tite?

So, after sanding and sanding (and sanding) and polishing my forks to bring them back to shiny life (thanks for all the info on here, what a great site), I bolted it all the whole axle bolts /caliper/ fender assembly back on… my question:
    I used the red heavy duty loc-tite (actually, the offical suzuki hardocre stuff) on those lowest four bolts that hold those cup shaped pieces under the fork, cupping the axle -- I figured those'd be the last things I'd ever want coming unbolted. I've never used thread loc before ... shop manual says nothing.

Now I'm thinking, was this overkill? Are these bolts now overbonded in a death grip? Should I try to wipe em off while I still can (finished about an hour ago, it syas it take 30 hours to cure).

Thanks for helping out a thoroughly mediocre mechanic. But hey, the forks look mirror shiny!

depends how much you put on them, next time you may need to heat them with a torch before they come off

Comment

No problem, if you don't intend to remove the wheel for changing a tire or anything.

My manual doesn't call for any thread locker, but if I were to use any, it would be the blue variety. There are lockwashers under my axle holder nuts, and there is quite a bit of tension as they are tightened up. Plus, the majority of foce on the axle is upward, and shouldn't tend to try and work the axle holder off. So I don't bother with threadlocker myself.

Comment

If you have your lock-washers on and bolt them to proper torque they won't ever come off. I don't think its necessary to put anything on them. Your axle bolt also applies torque to keep the wheel on...........it won't come off.

Comment

I would remove all bolts, remove all the red loctite and reinstall them with blue loctite. The red is for things not intended to be removed. Once it sets up, it will he HELL to turn the bolts out.

Earl

Originally posted by robsGS850 View Post
          So, after sanding and sanding (and sanding) and polishing my forks to bring them back to shiny life (thanks for all the info on here, what a great site), I bolted it all the whole axle bolts /caliper/ fender assembly back on… my question:
          I used the red heavy duty loc-tite (actually, the offical suzuki hardocre stuff) on those lowest four bolts that hold those cup shaped pieces under the fork, cupping the axle -- I figured those'd be the last things I'd ever want coming unbolted. I've never used thread loc before ... shop manual says nothing.

Now I'm thinking, was this overkill? Are these bolts now overbonded in a death grip? Should I try to wipe em off while I still can (finished about an hour ago, it syas it take 30 hours to cure).

Thanks for helping out a thoroughly mediocre mechanic. But hey, the forks look mirror shiny!
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Red Loctite is truly evil stuff. Depending on the application, you will snap bolts in half before getting them back out. Heat is your best bet.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Phew! Caught it just in time. Thanks everybody!

Comment

Working...
              X