Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850GL carb question

Hello all
    I've got an 81 GS850GL that should probably become a parts bike but i just can't let it go. Missing some parts and has some issues.
    So far, My first hurdle is the carbs (Number 3 in particular). Looks like someone cross-threaded the mixture screw with the wrong size screwdriver and then proceded to muck up the head (of course they had to twist the stupid thing ALL THE WAY IN). I'm pretty sure it's had it. That thing aint coming out. My attempts to extract the screw have only made things worse.
    so, finally, my question...
    When looking for a replacement carb (hopefully someone has one lying around), which carbs are interchangeable? Looks like mikuni bs32ss carbs were used on quite a few bikes. I'm assuming i can just swap out the jets and patch the new carb into the bank of 4. Is there anything else i'll have to move over? other than the mixture screw, the carbs look ok.
    Is there anything like a helicoil kit for something so small with fine threads?

thanks in advance for any advice.

All the BS32SS are going to interchange, as long as you are using the same carb in the rack. ie(#3 to replace #3) As far as finding a helicoil to fit that, IMO I wouldn't even waste the time trying to find one. The #3 carb is the one with the vacuume port for the petcock and is the one that sets the bench mark for the carb sync process. Maybe someone here has one or you can check out ebay, I've seen several there. Yes, swap out the jets and you'll be up and at them again. (Make sure you check the jet needle height in case someone else moved it or use your existing slide combo.) Good Luck!!

Comment

Here is a great link for your carbs. http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bmbar...32SS_Carbs.pdf

Comment

BS 32 vacuum port is on #2 carb NOT 3

Comment

Yep. the one with the vacuume port is ok. the problem is with the other 'inner' carb. so, do i have to get another #3 or is there a way to open/plug up the ports for the fuel rail and float vents?
          It may be easier to ask which bikes didn't come with the bs32ss... i'll check on the parts for sale board and see what i come up with.
          Dave, thanks for the link to the pdf. i saw that earlier and copied it
          It's awesome (yes, i lived through the 80's) that people are willing to share info on this forum.

thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            BS 32 vacuum port is on #2 carb NOT 3
            Some day, I'll get that through my head. Just seems to me that the right hand side of the motor (as seated on the bike) should be the "front" of the engine...Not So.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
              Some day, I'll get that through my head. Just seems to me that the right hand side of the motor (as seated on the bike) should be the "front" of the engine...Not So.
              C'mon Dave, you got it half right. You do sync the carbs to #3.
              Give yourself credit where it's due.:-D
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You need to replace #3 with a #3. There are thousands of these carbs out there. You'll find one. Post in the Parts Wanted section.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks eveybody. I'll go hang around in the parts wanted/for sale area for a while. just wanted to make sure i knew what to ask for.

Comment

Working...
                  X