GS1100 Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Woes

Long story short, I'm upgrading my front braking system to stainless steel lines, soft Ferodo pads, and I figured I would rebuild the master cylinder - since it couldn't be perfect after 22 years of use.

Initially I found there to be no rebuild kits listed for '83 GS1100E bikes...kind of odd. Then a few came up on ebay:

I bought one, not knowing what the internals of mine looked like. After finally getting mine apart, here's what I find:

The bore was full of rust and crap, so I'm glad I took it apart. However, it looked completely different than my rebuild kit!!

Okay...so I bought the wrong kit. They must be right...no rebuild kit available. I look up the Suzuki microfische at Alphasports, order the part number from the '83 GS1100E and it comes in the mail:

WTH!?

It's an 8-mm sized bore and my bore is at least 10-12mm - IT WONT EVEN FIT. Needless to say I haven't opened the package, but I'm not even sure how I'm going to return it.

Disgruntled, I put the master cylinder back together with the original parts...hook up a brake line and master cylinder, pump away and it throws fluid down the line, but won't push out the cylinder. Apparently it's trashed.

The ebay kit has the correct size, but I can't fit the snap-ring washer over the piston:

I may go to a hardware store and see if I can find one that is the same OD and bigger ID...but I'm on a prayer at this point.

Thoughts and feedback are welcomed. I needed to rant.

~Adam

Somebody with an 83' , or more knowlege better chime in, but mine looks just like your original one. I have no idea what that spiral on your replacements is about. Doesn't look at all the same. I bought a new Suzuki piston assembly for mine. It looked exactly the same. My MC is marked 5/8 's.

Actually, I just looked, and where I bought mine, it lists the same MC for the 82-83 http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/fi...ion_detail.asp (sorry, the link won't go directly to the page I want) It's Part # 59600-49830

BTW- I order a lot of NOS Suzuki parts at Flatout, off the fiche. I don't buy aftermarket parts very often.

Here is mine disassembled. It's from my 82 GS1100E
    Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2007, 06:43 PM.

Comment

If you are not worried about a concours bike then go down to the wreckers yard and get a master cylinder off a Kawasaki ZX9 or 10 (mid 90's model). It has a 5/8 bore and will improve your front brake immensely and looks good. Also has an adjustable lever on it too and a more modern, easier to work on, brake light switch.

Comment

Deny,

I'll look up the part number for the 82 GS1100E and see how it compares to my '83. My master cylinder is 5/8, so if I can get what you received in your kit...I might be able to salvage mine!

~Adam

Comment

I did a sanity check on my behalf and I see I was sent the wrong Suzuki part number for the master cylinder. Not sure how the mixup occured, the order to the website had it correctly.

~Adam

Comment

Ya, I thought I saw in your last picture what looked like the wrong part#.

BTW- For future reference, Flatoutmotorcycles sells that part for $12 less than Alphasports, and I think the shipping charge is about the same. I seem to always find the lowest prices there.

Comment

I called my local dealer where I ordered the part today. Their online order system lets you put the Suzuki part number in and it's price was $10 or so cheaper than BikeBandit, and it arrived in 4-days.

I had them order the correct part number this time and I'll do an exchange. Hopefully I can salvage my master cylinder still!

~Adam

Comment

Call this FYI for those that have an 1100...don't order a rebuild kit off ebay!!

Comment

You are correct in that there is no aftermarket front master cyclinder rebuild kit made for your bike. many vendors carry rebuild kits, but they are all mfr'd by K&L, and K&L does not support every model. it is hit-or-miss. Whatever you got from the Suzuki dlr is obviously the wrong part. Perhaps it is for a rear brake? it would seem that some dweeb messed up, so go back and demand a refund or exchange for correct part(s)

Comment

Got the correct master cylinder kit from Suzuki today, it looks right. I'm putting it together now, but I just wanted to note that it did not come with the o-ring that fits on the block piece that slides on the piston shaft. FYI for those considering a rebuild.

~Adam

Comment

Grumble.

The master cylinder is rebuilt with the correct kit. It's pushing fluid out and down the lines, but I can't get it to build pressure. I've released the banjo bolts, pumped the brake and bled the bleeder screws. The lever still pumps away with no effort.

No leaks or whatnot I can see.

~Adam

Comment

Try this. Remove the brake lever from the M/C. Remove the lid to the fluid bowl. Push the piston all the way in with the old piston or a phillip screwdriver. Watch in delight as air bubbles rise to the surface.
                        I went through an entire day cursing the bleeding process. The brake lever does not push the piston all the way in so it leaves room for an air pocket.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Chef,

I search the forum earlier and found a previous post where you suggested this and it worked. I thought to myself, awesome, I'll go home and do this!

Welp, no luck. I used the old master cylinder piston and pushed it in as far as I could many times. No pressure. I then bled the master cylinder again, no luck. I bled the calipers again, no luck.

There's two things I can think of now that might be the problem:

1. I used a c-clamp to push the brake pistons into the caliper when I put new pads on. Could they get stuck there in some weird fashion and not 'push back out'?

I bought a might-vac just now and I'm going to try power bleeding them to see if it helps.

2. I installed the primary cup backwards on the piston shaft during my rebuild (and/or something else when bad in the master cylinder)

I put the primary cup inward to where it fit inside the one end of the secondary cup. If you look at the picture above, the arrow points to the cup. I put the side that is facing upward in the picture facing outward of the large diamter side of the piston.

I will try to show it with symbols:

[---[]-<|--

Can someone confirm which way that cup needs to go?

~Adam
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2007, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I was confused by that part as well. But I'm pretty sure now that the grooved face (the side facing up) of #7 facing into part #6.

Comment

Looks like my internet is working again at home...good thing I stayed up late to bottle some of my home brew and try a batch that finished carbonating. Unfortunately the only good news tonight is that my beer turned out good....my brakes still don't work.

A HUGE thanks to Deny and Chef...I PM'ed these guys my cell phone because the net was down and they both called me 20 minutes apart. This forum is great.

Deny thought I should reverse the way my secondary cup was installed, so I went ahead and did that. Mounted it back up, pump pump pump...pushing fluid but still couldn't build up pressure.

I then removed the front calipers, hooked them up to the rear brake line and pushed the pistons out. They both moved.

Put the calipers back on the front, bleed them, but the master cylinder still won't build pressure.

I'm at a total loss now. I'm going to be making ebay offers for a used master cylinder.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X