82 gs1100 gl cam timing, 8 valve engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs1100 gl cam timing, 8 valve engine

Hi and thanks for all the previous help. I've been getting close to completion on my reassembly and double checked the cam timing before buttoning up the cover. I realized that with the crankshaft on the correct timing mark. (corresponding to TDC on cylinder 4), the cams can be in one of two positions. The manuals are not clear on these two possibilities. The differences I see is that the lobes for cylinder 4 are either facing each other or opposing each other. Right now I have it set with the lobes opposing each other but I can't see any way to be certain that this is correct. Has any one gone down this road before?

Also are there any tricks to keeping the sprocket marks intact while tighting the journals down. It took me several tries to keep it in place. I kept jumping a tooth and now I realized that even the #1 mark which should be even with the head surface is a half link off.

Thanks and happy riding.....
    Eddie V

Pull the cam chain over the exhaust cam sprocklet and tighten the exhaust cam caps only. Count the links and put the chain on the intake cam sprocket and before putting on the cam caps install your cam chain tensioner. Before putting on the intake cam caps double check TDC and the cam sprocket marks on the exhaust cam. Now put on the intake cam caps. Turn the crank a few times to recheck timing.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for that info chef. I'll give that a try.
      Would you have any insight as to my first question? The timing marks for cyl 1,4 TDC come around twice for each cam revolution. I've determined that I'm timing it on the beginning of the power stroke as opposed to the beginning of the intake stroke. The manuals (clymer and suzuki) make no mention of these two possibilities.
      Thanks again.
      Eddie V

Comment

Both cams have a square notch ground into the right end of them. Appx. 1/8" X 1/8" X 1/8". These notches should be facing each other & flush with the gasket surface. On the ex. cam, this notch will be opposite of the arrow that is flush with the front gasket surface & 90 degrees to the left of the arrow that is straight up. On the in. cam, the notch will be 90 degrees to the right of the only arrow it has.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Make sure the crank trigger is pointing towards the 1-4 side of the ignition.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Thanks guys,
            I'm pretty sure those notches are positioned facing each other. I'll be back out working on it tonight. Even though I still have to change it because I'm off by one tooth on the # 1 mark. Something moved once I tightened down the cams. Chef, I'm not sure what you mean by the "crank trigger". I have the 1 4 timing marks lined up to the proper mark and I have checked that this corresponds to TDC of cylinders 1 and 4.
            Thanks again.
            Eddie V

Comment

I presume he means some kind of ignition trigger??

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The crank trigger is on the end of the crank on the ignition side. It faces either towards the 1&4 pickup or the 3&4 pickup.

Comment

Working...
                X