Help removing stuck clutch cover '82 GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help removing stuck clutch cover '82 GS850

I am in the middle of trying to replace my clutch springs and cannot get the @%#^&&$ing cover off the clutch assembly. I have loosened the 10 bolts holding the cover on and can get a little gap on the bottom of the cover, but it seems like there is an extra bolt in the top keeping it on. I also used the clutch lever arm (rotate as per the clymer manual) but no go. Any ideas...........?

Tw*t it

I tapped mine with a lump of wood with a lump hammer behind it & it came off soon enough...

It breaks the seal. Rotating the clutch lever didin't work for me either.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'll give that a shot. Tw*t ........ whats the "*"?

Comment

I've been beating on the case for 20 min now, the bottom sounds loose, but not the top. I cannot find a "good" place to beat on the top of the case. I was thinking of getting a heat gun from work, maybe that could help the seal break (heat + thermal expansion). Any thoughts?

Comment

take your oil filler cap off and stick your fingers in there than hit all around the top while pulling outward on the cover.That's how I got mine off.Take all your bolts out first and lay them on a piece of cardboard in the order they came out .I drew the cover on the cardboard cause the bolts are different lengths.

Comment

Just by going from your pic and a fiche pic. I'd suggest removing the clutch linkage. It might be that the cover needs to be lifted off the clutch spindle.

Brad bt

Comment

Working...
            X