Carb Rebuild Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Rebuild Parts

OK, sorry for starting a new thread on this, but the search seems to think that all my words are too short.

I am considering a carb rebuild (only considering, since working in the street sucks) as I am having warming up idle troubles, and she bogs down about 4k rpm.

I have ordered o-rings from cycle o-rings, and will be ordering the 8 gaskets. I am running with a k&N Filter, stock airbox, and sort-of-stock exhaust (the previous owner cut off the mufflers and replaced them with stock mufflers that were also cut off, so it sort of leaks a bit under my feet where they meet).

I will be considering having a local guy do the vacuum sync afterwards, as I do not have a manometer and screwing with that stuff in street does not sound like fun.

My question: what other parts do you recommend? Any tips not in the rebuild papers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Just a comment about working in the street: For me, that would add some difficulty that I'm glad I didn't have to deal with. The carb rebuild/cleaning is not too difficult once you get going, but I appreciated using the workbench in my garage to do the work. I cleaned up the area to help keep the parts clean, before I reassembled them. I used empty egg cartons to organize and keep track of the small parts, as I disassembled the carbs. I strongly recommend you have good quality screwdrivers in the exact sizes you will need for the jets, etc.. to avoid damaging the screw heads. I used an impact driver for the phillips screws holding the carb bank, and individual carbs together.

I allow two days to do the carbs. After taking them off the bike, I do one at a time to avoid mixing the parts up between carbs. After taking them apart, I pick at the major grime. I spray off the carb bodies with carb cleaner. I then let the jets and things soak in the carb dip for 1-2 hours or so. I then soak the carb bodies. Then I pick at the jets again just to make sure every thing is down to clean Brass. Then I spray it all out with carb spray, before re-assembly. Doing it this way, I can do two or three carbs the first day, then do the rest the next day and re-install on the bike. I like to take as much time as I need, and try not to rush things. When I get in a rush, I do things like putting the carbs back together, with crucial parts missing.

I used to take my car engines apart on the street, so you have my sympathy if you don't have a dedicated work area. As far as vacuum sync, I still do that in my driverway immediatley after returning from a ride, so that the motor is good and warmed up. Just takes me a couple minutes to connect the hoses and lift the rear of the gas tank up out of the way. Twenty minutes to finish the whole thing. Too bad you can't borrow a gauge.

Its a real good feeling once you get everything back together, and it runs like new. Good luck if you decide to go for it.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2007, 03:45 PM.

Comment

The slide carbs are much easier to work on, You can get pretty close by doing a mechanical sync before reinstalling the carb rack. If it boggs either too lean most likley esp with pods or poss petcock not flowing properly

Comment

Thanks!

I think my "bogging" problem may be timing now that I've thought about it, as it only happens between 4 and 7 thousand rpm, where it kind of sputters. I get a HUGE power boost at 7 thousand rpm (does kind of feel cool when it kicks in). There is an in-line fuel filter that I've heard bad things about, so I may remove that if the timing doesn't take care of it.

I will fix everything I possibly can in one day this Saturday, including the timing. If it doesn't improve I think I will try to borrow/haywire something to vacuum sync it and get down to the carb rebuild. I may even beg the boss to let me use the company shop for a couple of days. I think I can bribe him with a good bottle of scotch.

Comment

Working...
        X