Anyone ever tried this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever tried this...

I have a 1982 GS650, I want to swap out my old spark plug wires and I have very little money...

I am toying with the idea of trying some coils from a different bike in place of my stock coils. My thought is that I'd like to try some coils that have the screw-on caps on the coil end of the wire unlike the Suzuki coils which have the molded-in wires. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2007, 02:22 AM.

Do you have the coils? If you do what bike are they off of?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by dsar View Post
      I have a 1982 GS650, I want to swap out my old spark plug wires and I have very little money...

I am toying with the idea of trying some coils from a different bike in place of my stock coils. My thought is that I'd like to try some coils that have the screw-on caps on the coil end of the wire unlike the Suzuki coils which have the molded-in wires. Any thoughts?
      If you don't have much money why is it cheaper to get new coils? The leads do come out of Suzuki coils but the clips that hold them in will probably not be reusable. You can use silicone adhesive/sealant to hold the new wires in the old coils. My replacement wires have been in that way for a coupla years with no problems. You need to find 8mm wire w/solid copper conductors. Sometimes not an easy task. Z1 Enterprises has NGK boots that will be perfect. Maybe they have wire also.

Comment

I don't have the coils yet, only toying with the idea. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried any different coils, with swappable wires, off a different bike. I am probably just going to go with the Accel 140403; Ebay has the whole set up, brand new, for $132 shipped (includes coils, wires, boots, mounting hardware, etc). But...if anyone has any good ideas about using coils from a different, yet compatible bike, where I can easily swap the wires (no digging out RTV gunk and hoping the spike stays put), I am all ears.

Thanks.

Comment

When I mentioned "new"coils, I meant new to me (used) off of a used bike (you know...lots of people parting out bikes on Ebay). Sorry for the confusion. I just did my taxes and I am getting a pretty good return; I may just pony up the cash and go with the Accel coils...unless someone has a good idea they would like to share...
          Thanks!

Comment

Why not get a pair of 3ohm (green) Dyna coils, $120 and $16 for 8mm wires from Z1? only 4 bucks more. if you had a SB chevy I would say get
            the accel. But for bikes Dyna is the only way to go. 9 out of 10 people on this forum will tell you the same thing.

Comment

I got the dyna's from Z1 but I have to say the Accel's on Sharpy's bike (some pics on here somewhere) fit neater & seem to be easier to connect the wires up to....

When I tried to change the wires on mine they pulled out of one coil fine but the other had so much glue in there that the head of the lead just pulled right off & stuck inside rendering it useless.

If I was you I'd have a go at pulling the wires out first, if they come out ok get the $16 Dyna wires from Z1 & you'll be fine. If like mine you have a problem you can go get coils as well..... That's what I did.

I still have the one good coil, if you have probs & it's the same we can sort something out....

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
              X