riding with an oil leak still leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

riding with an oil leak still leaking

I rode my 80 gs 1000L yesterday about 30 miles,just had to get out on it.I have had the oil leak around the front head bolt for several weeks and have not ridden the bike except around the block.The bike runs perfectly,but has a leak that runs down the whole left side of the motor when it is parked,gets on the exhaust,etc.I got back to my driveway,never made any noise when i was riding.It sounded like there was a noise coming from inside the motor,almost like when a radiator is overheated and making that moaning sound,or maybe something down inside the motor.I stopped the bike,waited only about 30 seconds and restarted it.never made the osund again.I was wondering is it likely dangerous to the motor to ride it anywhere with the oil leak? It had the oil to the midpint in the site glass.33,000 miles.i am about to tear it down.if i see something inside what would i see if the crank is seizing or piston is seizing or similar problem.like i said,the bike runs great,that's why i like i so much.I dont want to order feeler gauges,tappet depressor,impact wrench,shims,etc if ya'll think something much worse than an oil leak is going on.Thanks for input.If no ideas come from you all,I will tell ya'll what i see when i tear it apart.if it is too bad i wont rebuild it.Ron b
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

As long as your oild level is ok don't sweat it.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks chef.I appreciate it.
      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

You say "the front head bolt"... but can you be a bit more specific?

I've got a hunch it's probably coming out of where your tachometer cable enters the head. Then it's dripping down onto the cooling fin, and then running across to the LHS when you've got the machine on the sidestand.

Comment

You may also want to check the camchain tensioner area.
          This a source of a lot of questionable leaks it seems.
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

You know what I always say about oil leaks... If it's leaking, it's good news becasue that means there is still oil in the engine!
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
              You know what I always say about oil leaks... If it's leaking, it's good news becasue that means there is still oil in the engine!
              Thats the Harley riders motto isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by tfb View Post
                You say "the front head bolt"... but can you be a bit more specific?

I've got a hunch it's probably coming out of where your tachometer cable enters the head. Then it's dripping down onto the cooling fin, and then running across to the LHS when you've got the machine on the sidestand.
                THERE IS A BOLT THAT GOES UP INSTEAD OF DOWN,THE HEAD IS POINTING TO THE GROUND.IT IS ALLEGEDLY 6 MM IN DIAMETER.tHE CAM CHAIN VALLEY IS IN THAT AREA AND I UNDERSTAND THIS IS A NOTORIOUS SPOT for gs bikes to leak.Some of the later models and the katanas had a o ring around the 2 bolts on either side of the valley and replacing them might have fixed the problem.My bike doesnt have those.the leak is no doubt coming around this one bolt,then the oil runs sideways towards each cooling fin of the motor on either side,but drips very much when sitting in the driveway on the kickstand and leaning left.also the oil gets on the toe of my shoe where the shifter touches it.I wish it was the tach oil seal,that would be easy.i will start tearing it down tomorrow.Torqueing the bolts over aagian seldom helps this problem.I am most worried about the shimming of the valves.Ron b

Comment

I know exactly which bolt you mean. :-) My experience with that bolt and leaking in that area is if you have torqued that "under" bolt to spec and it is still leaking in that area, the only way I found to stop the leak was to replace the head gasket. The bitch about that is its chancy to not replace the base gasket also.

Earl

[quote=ron bayless;624373]THERE IS A BOLT THAT GOES UP INSTEAD OF DOWN,THE HEAD IS POINTING TO THE GROUND.IT IS ALLEGEDLY 6 MM IN DIAMETER.tHE CAM CHAIN VALLEY IS IN THAT AREA AND I UNDERSTAND THIS IS A NOTORIOUS SPOT for gs bikes to leak.
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

[QUOTE=earlfor;624382]I know exactly which bolt you mean. :-) My experience with that bolt and leaking in that area is if you have torqued that "under" bolt to spec and it is still leaking in that area, the only way I found to stop the leak was to replace the head gasket. The bitch about that is its chancy to not replace the base gasket also.

Earl

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
                    THERE IS A BOLT THAT GOES UP INSTEAD OF DOWN,THE HEAD IS POINTING TO THE GROUND.IT IS ALLEGEDLY 6 MM IN DIAMETER.tHE CAM CHAIN VALLEY IS IN THAT AREA AND I UNDERSTAND THIS IS A NOTORIOUS SPOT for gs bikes to leak.
                    Yep,i agree.I am going to tear the mother down to the pavement.I aint doing this but once.i will replace every gasket,seal,o ring,washer that I can find while i have it apart.Then, the moment of truth when i get it all back together and push the starter button and it starts up and no more leaks will be sweet indeed.

Comment

Working...
                    X