78 GS1000 front end wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000 front end wobble

Sometimes (not always) when riding, if I take my hands off the bars the bike starts to wobble first gently but if I leave my hands off the bars it gets gradually worse until it's so bad I have to grab them or wipe out.Is this possibly the neck bearings? unbalanced front tire? Anyone have any suggestions? I'd love to hear from ya.
    Bob in NH
    a.k.a Kissman

Same problem here.
    Altough I generally try to keep at least one hand on the grips.:-D

Comment

Try tighting item #24 , Steering stem nut, just a bit. Not too tight. Like maybe a 10th of a turn. If you dont have the spaner wrench a couple taps with a hammer and punch should do.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Could be any number of things including:

loose steering head bearings
        low tire pressure front/rear
        front/rear tire not balanced
        front/rear tire out of alignment with each other
        rear tire pulled out of alignment when adjusting chain

Comment

I haven't heard anyone throw this out there...

I am not sure if a Kawasaki has anything close to the same set up... but last summer I had similar problem on my KZ650.

Come to find out it was a real easy fix. There was slack in the spacer of the front axle nut... due to sloppy work from a tire replacement. I also learned to look over anywork as this done done at shops!

Sometimes it's the real easy stuff. Sometimes.

My 2 cents... (which will problably leave you in debt should you take it) 8-[

Comment

Originally posted by Cooked View Post
            I haven't heard anyone throw this out there...

I am not sure if a Kawasaki has anything close to the same set up... but last summer I had similar problem on my KZ650.

Come to find out it was a real easy fix. There was slack in the spacer of the front axle nut... due to sloppy work from a tire replacement. I also learned to look over anywork as this done done at shops!

Sometimes it's the real easy stuff. Sometimes.

My 2 cents... (which will problably leave you in debt should you take it) 8-[
            KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). Always work your way up on a problem. Start cheap and do the basic things first. It's a lot easier on the wallet.

Just to add to this thread, the basic checks are free. Tire pressure, wheel balance, axle condition (ie lube). If this doesn't fix it, check the head tube for tightness. Then, if this doesn't solve the issue, replace the head tube bearings. If that doesn't cure the problem, then you may want to look into the fork suspension. You could have an imbalance between the forks. Also, the tire may be the culprit.

Some things to ponder.

Brad bt

Comment

Don't forget to check fork oil level.
              V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L