back brake locked...open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

back brake locked...open

1979 gs 750, my back brake is locked open, i cant move the foot brake, unfortunately its tempting to ride because the bike moves. i can downshift and use that to help slow down and use mostly front brake, but its not really safe so id like to get it fixed. i soaked the hinge right by the foot pedal in wd-40, but it still won't budge, are there any other points where it could be jammed? and if not, what can i use other than WD?

I rode Mine Most of Last Year Like that but I use the Front Brake for 90% of My Stopping Anyway. When I got My New Tires Installed a Couple of Months ago they they Removed the Brake Pedal and Knocked the Shaft out and Cleaned and Lubed it. Works Like New Now.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Even the shaft has jammed or the piston has seized probably...

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I agree with Salty M.

It could also be the rear brake pistons have seized in the caliper also.

Remove the split pin that holds the rear brake arm to the rear brake master cylinder rod. This should then allow you to test which part is seized up. Try the lever first then see if the rod pushes up into the master cylinder and that he rear brakes move.

If not its a full rear brake strip down.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
        1983 GS(X)1100ESD
        2002 GSF1200K1

Comment

As a former member once said, the rear brake is for show.

All your braking is done primarily with the front. You should be okay to ride, but fixing it should be a priority!

Have you considered rebuilding the calipers and master cylinder? I've only done the MC and it was pretty easy.

Brad bt

Comment

Working...
          X