X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idling

Guys,
    I'm still very new to motorcycles and especially the GS
    Is it normal that you have keep tweeking the throttle for like 5 min before the bike stays going? I realize the bike needs to warm up, but i'm having troubles getting it to idle up high enough not to stall. Even after riding it for 15 min. it still wants to stall when sitting at idle. I've turned up the idle slightly and when i do that, it idles up way too high.
    I can't seem to find a happy medium.

I forgot to mention. The bike is a 79 GS425L.

Any suggestions?

Clean out your carbs and change the o-ring on the engine side of the intake boots.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Will the bike not warm up/run with the choke on?

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
      1983 GS(X)1100ESD
      2002 GSF1200K1

Comment

After the bike has warmed up, it should idle without throttle. Check the throttle knob located in front of the carbs. It could be that the idle is a bit under-adjusted. The best way to adjust it is after the bike has warmed to normal operating temperature (a 10 minute ride is all it should take), and then as the bike is idling, reach under a turn the knob. It's a tight fit, so gloves are going to be needed. I can't remember which way adjusts up or down in the RPM's. I believe optimal RPM's fall between 900 and 1200 RPM.

This should cure your idle issues, but I'd also suggest a carb cleaning (see the carb cleanup series on the GSR homepage) and a syncing, if you haven't done so already. Both will greatly improve your bike's engine performance.

Brad bt

Comment

Thanks guys.
          The engine runs with the choke on, but only for less than a minute. I then have to turn off the choke and just tweek the throttle until i leave.

I've already replaced needles and seats in the carbs and given them a good cleaning. We're going to replace points and condensers this weekend. The timing is out some too. So after we do that and set the timing, I think i'll take it for a good ride and see how that goes. I might try adjusting that idle at the point if it is still not idling great does.

I'm not too great with adjusting carbs, should the engine run longer with the choke on, or only for a very short time before it starts to choke out?

Comment

adjust the idle mix screws to highest idle, then adjust your idle rpm

Comment

Originally posted by ReedZ View Post
              I'm not too great with adjusting carbs, should the engine run longer with the choke on, or only for a very short time before it starts to choke out?
              I've found that the choke is only necessary in colder temps (below 40), or when the bike has sat for more than a few days. Otherwise, when it's warm and the bike is started daily, the choke isn't needed.

Brad bt

Comment

Working...
              X