1981 gs 550 igniter unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs 550 igniter unit?

I have been having problems starting my 81 gs 550, and (according to clymer manual) the igniter unit is the component failing the ignition tests.

I called a couple dealers around town and pricing is between $370 and $390!!!!! :shock: Wayyy too much for this poor college kid. Any suggestions on how I could get ahold of one of these for less $??

What is the part number? Should be something like 32900-XXXXX.

I have one, but let's see if the numbers match. Mine is 32900-49410.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

550 ignition unit

Also, do a yahoo or google search in baltimore for Baltimore Cycle Salvage.
      He has tons of parts.

Comment

Is there a way to test the igniter when it is off of the bike? I'm not sure I trust the Clymer test, (got no results, not sure if that means the igniter is bad or I did the test wrong).

Comment

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks chef1366. I noticed in my searching you often recommend the Dyna S, and am considering going that route. I read that I'd also have to find a mechanical advance from an older bike. Are these hard to find, and about how much will that add to the cost?

Do the instructions that come with the Dyna S include instructions for converting from an electronic ignition? I'm assuming that I remove the signal generator and that's were the mechanical advance and the Dyna S unit go.

Also, is there a way to test my igniter with a multimeter?

Comment

Igniter test

The igniter swithes one side of a coil primary to ground when it gets a voltage from the signal generator. The other side of the coil primary has
              +12v when the swithes are in the run position. I checked my ignitor with a digital multimeter by putting one lead on a known +12v and the other to a lead going to each coil primary, one by one, as I cranked the engine. I used the connector going from the ouput of the igniter to the coils. I got varying voltage indications that meant that the igniter was in fact switching to ground as it should. The individual readings were not important except to indicate the igniter was working. Hope this helps you check it before replacing components that might not need replacing. Dick V

Comment

Working...
              X