need new exhausts GS1000GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need new exhausts GS1000GL

I have an 81 GS1000GL that a previous owner drilled out the baffles out of the exhaust. 40 years ago, I'd remove the baffles on my 80cc and thought it was cool. Now I thinks the sound sucks. Does anyone know if the exhausts from a GS850GL or a GS1100GL will work. I do not need the front pipes, just the exhasts.:-|

Make a Chart for Exhaust

What would be really nice for this site is a cross reference chart for exhaust and mufflers. Alot of questions posted for this and would really make it easier when finding replacement parts. We also know that because the exhaust pipes of the Generic model on the pipe for EPA or something - the model number cross reference is no good. I.E. my pipes are stamped with a GS1000.

If we started a chart - and everyone who had success or failure would report their findings we could make up this chart.

Chart 1 = What years / models mufflers fit on what years / models.
    Chart 2 = What years / models complete exhaust fit on what years / models.
    Chart 3 = What years / models Fuel/Gas/Petrol Tanks fit on what years / models.

I know from trying lost night that a 79GS850G gas tank does not fit on a 78 GS1000C. The neck works but the frame is too wide on the GS1000C for the tank to sit in place.

Any comments?

Recommendation from the Site Person?

(I am looking for a GS750C seat and a GS1000C mufflers, tank, and seat)
    Yea - seats too.

NorthStarMN

78 GS1000C
    78 GS750C
    75 GT750
    76 GT750
    77 RM370
    2001 SV650S

Comment

1981 GS1000GLS Exhaust

I am also looking for a replacement exhaust ,preferably a 4 into 2 to keep that vintage look...any ideas ??

Comment

1981 Gs1000glx

Sorry....the previous post should have been for a 1000GLX ...not GLS

Comment

Charts 1,2 & 3

I Will Work On Chart 3 I Have A 1982 Gs1100gl With The Wrong Fuel Tank On It I Think Its Off A 80 550gl The Correct Part Number From Suzuki Is 724925-001 This Fuel Tank Fits 82-83
          Gs1100gl's So Theres A Start

Comment

On mine the 81 1000L and 83 1100L pipes have the same part number on the outside of the pipe and should be interchangeable. My 850 has a different part number so I am thinking it is a different size. The inner pipe diameters might be slightly different from the 750/850 and the 1000/1100 sizes but I do not know this for a fact.
            82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
            81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
            83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
            06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
            AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

too cool

I am jealous your bike is beautiful

Comment

Great Idea!!

Great Idea!!! I was just wondering if somewhere such a chart/cross reference guide existed. I've got a GS1000E and I'd like a new exhaust or at least a couple of mufflers. I was just in the used parts section and there was an eBay link that had a complete exhaust with a buy-it now price of over $1100. I truly want/need a muffler but I've bought entire bikes for less than that figure.

Ride safe and often!!!

Originally posted by NorthStarMN View Post
                What would be really nice for this site is a cross reference chart for exhaust and mufflers. Alot of questions posted for this and would really make it easier when finding replacement parts. We also know that because the exhaust pipes of the Generic model on the pipe for EPA or something - the model number cross reference is no good. I.E. my pipes are stamped with a GS1000.

If we started a chart - and everyone who had success or failure would report their findings we could make up this chart.

Chart 1 = What years / models mufflers fit on what years / models.
                Chart 2 = What years / models complete exhaust fit on what years / models.
                Chart 3 = What years / models Fuel/Gas/Petrol Tanks fit on what years / models.

I know from trying lost night that a 79GS850G gas tank does not fit on a 78 GS1000C. The neck works but the frame is too wide on the GS1000C for the tank to sit in place.

Any comments?

Recommendation from the Site Person?

(I am looking for a GS750C seat and a GS1000C mufflers, tank, and seat)
                Yea - seats too.

NorthStarMN

78 GS1000C
                78 GS750C
                75 GT750
                76 GT750
                77 RM370
                2001 SV650S

Comment

Originally posted by NorthStarMN View Post
                  The chart needs a few more fields, such as who has tried it, whether it can work with alterations, and what alterations were required. Oh, and links to pics of any successful alterations. Could this be a job for Google Base?
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Would it be possible to use your old exhaust and insert one
                    of those universal type baffles in it? I thought JC whitney
                    used to sell one plus fiberglass to repack it. Probably have
                    to drill a hole to mount it in there or buy 2 for a 4 into 2.

Comment

Working...
                    X